Stoker - 2 fans versus one?

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I have 3 of the 5 CFM stoker fans for when I ran 3 of the classic WSM. I now run 1 of the 22", and 1 of the classic 18".

I don't think a single 5 CFM fan is sufficient for the larger cooker, so I see 2 options:

1 - Sell off 2 of the 5 CFM fans and buy a 10 CFM fan for the large cooker.
2 - Solder the 2 5 CFM fans together and mount on opposite ends of the large cooker's charcoal bowl. Per John, this will allow the 2 fans to work off one pit probe.

Either way, I'll keep one 5 CFM for the 18" WSM.

Logistics (selling, soldering, etc) aside, do you think having two fans operating on opposite sides of the cooker is better, worse, or indifferent when compared to having one large fan? Sometimes I feel that the fire is greater near the fan.

I use lump if that matters to anyone.

Second question - If I'm going to be splicing and soldering, I'm also going to do some extending of length. What is a good cable to extend the length of the stoker cables? Can I use the same cable type to extend the length of the blower as I can for a temp probe?

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2 - Solder the 2 5 CFM fans together and mount on opposite ends of the large cooker's charcoal bowl. Per John, this will allow the 2 fans to work off one pit probe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen this at comps on larger smokers like the Stumps and spicewines. If John says you can do it then do it. I'll give you $5 for your fan plug when you are done splicing.

Use the same wire as the existing fan wire. The temp probes use different wires because they are in a different environment. Solder!! and get some heat shrink wrap at Radio Shack to make it look professional.

-rob

Thanks Rob. I think I'll keep the plug in case one gets damaged. Nice to have a spare.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">to make it look professional. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL - if you saw me at comps, you wouldn't worry about that part!

I will do it, though, as I want to make sure everything is weatherproof to the best of my abilities.

I want to extend the fan, pit, and temp probes so they can all easily homerun in a plastic box, where they connect to extension cables that run to the stoker and power supply (in my tent, or wherever). Sometimes the morning dew builds up on everything and I'd like to keep the connectors as isolated as possible.

Were do you compete and what's your team name? We're Green Mountain Smokeshack out of VT and compete throughout the NorthEast. The furthest south we went last year was Long Island, NY (Sayville) We managed to hit 5 KCBS and 1 MBN contest this year.

-rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
Were do you compete and what's your team name? We're Green Mountain Smokeshack out of VT and compete throughout the NorthEast. The furthest south we went last year was Long Island, NY (Sayville) We managed to hit 5 KCBS and 1 MBN contest this year.

-rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out team name is Brew-B-Q, and we just started competing last year. We did four KCBS contests in IL and WI. May do one in MI, and one in IA this year as well.

Your team name sounds familiar...I know a girl in Brooklyn that was supposed to hang out with / help cook the Sayville contest, and I swear it is your team. She's not a BBQ person, but somehow got involved with someone on your team designing a burger or something for the city? I know that sounds odd, and I may be way off, but I think that's the story.

LOL! It’s a small world!

The lady of whom you speak is named Erin Evenson. She was supposed to meet us at Sayville on Saturday but we didn’t hear back from her. Come to find out she was involved in a bicycle accident the day before and broke her leg. We never heard back from her until Sunday. We ended up taking 5th for brisket and 6th for pork at that event. How do you know Erin?

The burger thing -- I also belong to a cooking contest website which is where I met Erin. I’ve been to 2 national cooking contests that were both picked up by Food Network and put in a “Food Network Challenge” show. The first was in 2005 for the Sutter Home Build a Better Burger contest. 5 people compete for $50K for the best burger. The next was in 2007 at the National Chicken Cooking Contest which Food Network tuned into “National Chicken Challenge”.

I got serious camera time on both of these shows. They still air them every spring and fall. Here are the shows:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food-network-challenge/chall...-burger-2/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food-network-challenge/natio...cook-off2/index.html

and the recipes:
http://www.buildabetterburger.com/finalists/2005/05_bourbon_st_burgers
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/caribbean-chicken-me...ns-recipe/index.html

I didn’t win anything but I did get 15 to 20 minutes airtime on both shows. They covered all expenses though and it was a ton of fun.

-rob

She did mention to me that her brother in law was into BBQ. I know we'd meet up together somewhere. I think she's trying to meet up with us for Sayville or Hudson Valley in 2009. If you're around for a visit the more the merrier. The core team is me and my wife and anyone I can drag from the Smoked Meat or Recipe contest forums:

http://www.hudsonvalleyribfest.org/
http://www.bbqbattleli.com/

It's our second year competing. We did 5 contests in 2008 and took the following walks:

2nd Place Chicken (Troy, NY)
2nd Place Ribs (Lake Placid)
5th Place Brisket (Sayville)
6th Place Pork (Sayville)

This year we're going to tighten that up a bit.
-rob

I have a Stumps clone, cooking chamber size is 24" W x 22" D x 36" H, and I still use my 4 CFM fan with it. I purchased the 10 CFM fan from John and it looks like someone is using a blow torch in my cook chamber when the fan is cycling. I was uncomfortable putting that much of a thermal shock on my firebox so I went back to the 4 CFM from my BGE. The only difference I see between the two is the time it takes to get my cooker up to temp. 40 minutes for the 4 CFM vs. 15 to 20 min for the 10 CFM. The 10 CFM also recovers quicker but when the unit has stabilized the difference is not more than a couple of minutes.

Several years ago, before the Stoker was around, I remember reading where several people tried this on larger smokers, offsets and the like, and they had issues, from time to time, where one side didn't start (ignite) properly, and being as the Guru only monitors the overall pit temperature, would over stoke the strong side to make up for the side that died out and ended up with coals burnt on only one side. Just something to consider.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

Bill,

Can you elaborate a bit? When you say "tried this" are you talking about mounting two fans on opposite sides?

In my scenario, the two fans would be synchronized to turn on/off at the same time, based on one pit probe.

I think as long as I start the fire properly, which is easy in the WSM, I won't have a problem like you mention. I see that more likely using only one fan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
Bill,

Can you elaborate a bit? When you say "tried this" are you talking about mounting two fans on opposite sides?

In my scenario, the two fans would be synchronized to turn on/off at the same time, based on one pit probe.

I think as long as I start the fire properly, which is easy in the WSM, I won't have a problem like you mention.
I see that more likely using only one fan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, exactly. They had theirs running from one Guru (synchronized) as well, but as you say, insuring a good start while using a WSM, you probably wouldn't have a problem. I just threw this in here to give you a heads-up that there can be issues while using 2 fans. Let us know how it goes.

Bill
icon_smile.gif

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I can see how fire starting could be an issue in some of the larger cookers.

I'll probably let things warm up around here before I completely decide that the 5 CFM fan won't cut it by itself. After all, I've only cooked on it twice and the temps were in the teens and windy. Not exactly a fair shot!

My concern is that I sometimes need to raise temps quickly in a competition, and I don't have all day to wait for it to come up to temp, say from 225 to 325. I think the single fan would handle the overnight cooks just fine, but I just want a little more control.

I've tried to raise temps after a longer cook in my 18" using a 10 CFM blower and it's still a long process but with air coming from more than 1 direction...

I'm not familiar with how the Stoker introduces air into the WSM other than an adapter that fits over the entire vent. The Guru has a deflector on the inside that deflects the forced air down and spreads it out a bit. My thinking is that air from opposite sides of the WSM bowl might collide, even with ash dropping, and cause a hot line of coals through the middle of the charcoal basket. I would try coming in at angles, using the existing vents (120º vs. 180º), blending the air a bit, and see how that works before cutting into the bowl, if that was your intent. you may end up with a dead zone between the blowers though.. Just thinking out loud here.
icon_wink.gif

Bill

It doesn't have a deflector, just blows straight through.

One hole has been drilled for the current stoker, but I think you raise a very good point about the second fan.

I have a laundry list of things I need to test out before I cut that second hole. Just trying to get ideas together now.

If you can document the whole process, I would love the opportunity to read it once you're done, or "as you go" for a work in progress. Pics too, if you can.
icon_smile.gif

Take care,

Bill

I did a 5 hr rib cook New Years day, temps were around 30 deg, and didn't have a problem with the 4 CFM but then again my cooker is surrounded by 2 to 4" of 2600 degree fiberfrax insulation so my situation is a little different.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
If you can document the whole process, I would love the opportunity to read it once you're done, or "as you go" for a work in progress. Pics too, if you can.
icon_smile.gif

Take care,

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'll be sure to take some pics and document what I do. The way things are going, it will be more a "as you go" since it will probably take a long time.

That way, you guys can tell me what I did wrong when nothing works! Or better yet, stop me before I do something really stupid.

Pat,

When it really comes down to it, I don't think you'll need 2 blowers to begin with. Try it with one and see how it goes.

About your mount and the deflection issue --- I have a solution for you. I had a Guru before I had a stoker. Guru has a WSM mount that reflects the airflow downward. When I got the stoker I just made a stoker conversion kit such that the stoker fan mounter on the Guru adapter. Something like this:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9270072103/m/1870021785

When I'm in the field I can swap out either unit without an issue. Pretty sweet!

I can see where you'd have problems straight piping the airflow. I can imagine ashes blowing around when burning lump and sparking. Do yourself a favor and get the Guru mount for $17 :
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp...ory=30&idproduct=147

BTW, I find the new WSM's a bit over priced for what they are worth. I picked up a used BGE with nest and cast iron vent for $300 on Craig's list. I'm expecting they'll be lots of 18 inch WSM's on the list this year.

-rob

Back