An attempt at slow and low on the Smokey Joe with a firebrick

Chris Hill

First post to the forum, and after reading up on some of the folks who have been doing indirect cooking on regular webers, I thought I'd try a slow(er) and low(er) on the Smokey Joe. I believe it's the silver model.

Added a firebrick which had already been cut to about the right shape by my local wood stove store, who gave me some brick scraps for free. And added a lid thermometer to estimate grill temps. Then I did a Minion method style start with about 4 briquettes and a chunk, and added a few more briquettes to make sure they got started. Added the small loaf drip/ water pan opposite the heat side to help keep the roast from drying out.

I had airflow problems with the Smokey Joe when the top was fully on, and it took leaving the lid ajar to get decent airflow. With that problem solved, I found it fairly easy to control the temp with the bottom vent and the lid ajar/ not ajar.

It kept a lid temp of about 250-300 for a good 2 hours, which I guessed was around 225 on the grill. After the two hours, it ran out of fuel and the briq's I threw on top did not light after 15 min or so, so I finished the roast in the oven.

Edit to add time and temp info:

1:30 pm start with Minion method with 4 briquettes and one chunk
1:40 pm add another 4-6 briquettes and fluid
2:00 pm put coals on top of pile, meat on, lid ajar, vents open, lid temp to about 250
2:15 pm lid temp about 300, bottom vent to about 50% open
2:30 pm lid temp about 350, put lid completely on
2:45 pm lid temp about 325, bottom vent to about 30% open
3:00 pm lid temp about 275, bottom vent to about 50% open
3:30 pm lid temp about 275
3:45 pm lid temp about 275
4:00 pm lid temp about 260, bottom vent to 100% open
4:15 pm lid temp about 240, meat temp about 130, added 5 briq's and small chunk
4:25 pm lid on ajar once briq's and chunk started smoking
4:30 pm lid temp about 100-150, briq's not starting well
4:45 pm lid temp about 120, meat temp about 110, pulled meat off grill

Then into the oven at 250 for 30 min, meat temp to 130
And 300 for 30 min, meat temp to 140, brown all the way through. [edit to add: The meat thermometer read 140 and the meat was brown all the way through. I believe I did not have it inserted far enough into the meat to get the thermometer to fully register, as I found it was low on a few cooks until I stuck it farther into the meat]

I think adding briq's about 60-90 min into the cook and/or foiling the bottom grate under the cooking section of the grill would probably help with keeping the grill going longer...we'll find out soon enough.
icon_wink.gif

Here are the pics:

firebrick_start.jpg

firebrick_close.jpg

firebrick_meat.jpg

yep, kinda hard to do. that thing really is made for direct/ibirect grilling. that being said, i think you kinda answered yer own self on the problems you had. kinda fun though, ain't it ?

That dosent look like the best place to grill
icon_eek.gif
Unless you like the flashing lights on the fire trucks
icon_wink.gif
Other then that it looks like a fun little project, I just wondered what was the purpose of having the 5 pieces of charcoal and 1 of wood under the roast?

Brandon

If you can find a Platinum, it will hold a 225 grate for 6+ hours with little to no tending, using Minion. I was really impressed. And at 18.5 inches, it's big enough for more food, and small enough to take with you.

Brandon: I hosed down the dry grass. I agree, not the best fire risk, but it's also the only place on the property which is in easy eyeshot from the house and does not let smoke and CO blow into the house.

Michael: I grilled a 6.8 lb brisket on an older 18.5" grill this weekend. Had to drill out the rusted vent screws, but with that taken care of, it held temp for about 6+ hours, and with another bit of fuel added at that point, went for 10 hours fairly well. I'd post the temp log, but I let it get erratic...next time out with the 18.5" the temps should work out right. Even so, a 10 hour smoke/ roast with erratic temps made some mighty fine brisket...
icon_smile.gif

Well that answers my question. I picked up a 2001 Smokey Joe at the Flea Market this morning for $3. I was curious how it did using indirect heat. Guess it will be used for steaks, chicken breasts and anything requiring direct heat.

Back