Breaded "Fried" Mushrooms

Ernie D

TVWBB Pro
1 pound button or baby portabello mushrooms
4 eggs beaten
1 - 5 oz bag of ranch flavored croutons (ground in food processor)
Spray Olive Oil
1 lemon (optional but highly recommended)

DIRECTIONS
1. Soak mushrooms in eggs.

2. Dredge them in ranch crouton crumbs till completely coated.

3. Spray lightly with olive oil.

4. Cook indirect at high heat till golden brown.

5. Spritz with lemon and serve.

I thought of this watching some of you guys making "fried" chicken on the grill. These are really great. This is a BASE recipe to which you can do about anything. I like red pepper flakes ground into the crumbs. Ranch dipping sauce is always nice too, but I love the simplicity of just a little lemon juice.

Last time, I used egg beaters and added a little bit of greek yogurt to the egg wash. Just don't add much salt because the croutons are already plenty flavorful.

Enjoy! I am making them weekly!

Thanks guys!
Jason, I haven't kept close track, but I would bet only about 20 minutes on the grill at the time that pic was taken.

Enjoy

Thanks for the idea! I have done these roughly 5 or 6 times and have done several different flavors of croutons and they are a BIG hit everyone loves them. Its incredible how much crunch you can get on these as if they were fresh out fo the deep fryer. Very healthy and extremely tasty with Kraft dressing/dip....Thanks again!

Glad you like them, Rich.... Any tips or modifications to the proportions or ingredients in the recipe?

Let me know if you have any good ideas.

Any idea on a temp i could cook these in the oven? I'll do em on the grill but in quick pinch i'd like to be able to whip em up in under 30. They look AWESOME by the way, i love mushrooms like this...

I would cook 'em hot in the oven.... Over 400, but 450 might make the breading black before the shrooms cook inside. I think I just talked myself into 425 degrees..... Final answer: 425!

This sounds like an awesome recipe. Has anyone tried making these with seasoned bread crumbs instead of croutons? I have some and was wondering if I could use them or if I needed to just get some croutons.

You can use about anything. The crouton Idea just gives a good crunch and some salt. My next batch will be with greek yogurt in the egg wash and panko crumbs.

Ernie,
Made a small batch using 2 eggs and a TBS. of mayo whisked into the wash.
They were great!

I didn't let the fungi soak long, just coated them well and shook in a bag of crushed croutons.

I made this these on Saturday and they tasted great. The only problem for me was that i forgot to spray them with oil and they came out a little flaky and dry, but they tasted great. I will try these again.

It was a little harder on my gas grill, ended up using my top rack to cook them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_L (Big Mike):
I made this these on Saturday and they tasted great. The only problem for me was that i forgot to spray them with oil and they came out a little flaky and dry, but they tasted great. I will try these again.

It was a little harder on my gas grill, ended up using my top rack to cook them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I think a KEY part here is the olice oil spray, dont need a lot but if you forget it (as I once did as well) they dont get nice and golden and crispy....

Back