Definitive Rotisserie Turkey Recipe?

Tony Tango

Hello all,

Im going to try using the rotisserie on my Performer for the first time on Thursday with a 15lb turkey.

Is there a definitive turkey recipe out there for charcoal rotisserie?

Number of coals? Target temp? Target timing? Maybe even the ideal brine?

I couldnt seem to find one while searching, so any advice on these issues or a link would be appreciated!!!

Happy T-Day all!

Tony,

This is probably an obvious statement but make sure the bird can turn inside the grill. I had an issue on my genesis gas grill a few years back with an 11 pounder. The bird cleared the lid top and sides but the legs hit the flavor bars over the burners. The bird likes to sag when it turns so you need an inch or 2 more clearance on the bottom than on the top. I was really disappointed because the rotisserie is fantastic on chicken. Maybe you can add some string to tighten up the bird to the spit. I hope it works out. best of luck.

For future reference to others - A 15lb bird SHOULD be ok on the kettle rotisserie - it's got the big ring around it and it sits in the middle. I've done many 13lb birds on the rotisserie (usually apple brined) and haven't ever felt like it was getting too close to the lid when it spun around.

Although hearing back from the original poster how it went would help confirm it for others
icon_smile.gif

Will do! Though I ended up getting a 12lb bird. I'm assuming 14 minutes per pound so 2hr, 48 min plus carryover.

I'm sort of winging it on setup. I filled a full chimney of charcoals; it will be 1/2 and 1/2 flanked with a drip in the middle. I've used the Alton brine.

I'll put it on sometime around 1pm.

It's been on for an hour twenty. I checked 20 minutes in an my twine somehow came almost completely undone. I turned the machine off and over a hot fire managed to re-twine it. And it looks great as of now. I also added a bunch of briquettes at around 1:10. I dislike taking the lid off, but I think it will be necessary here every 20 min or so as I'm afraid that as the bird cooks it will start to sag more & more.

The 12lb turned out to be wonderful on the rotisserie.

The grill started at 400 and steadied out at 300 for most of the cook. I took it off after 2hrs 30min (12.5 min/lb) and it read as over-done; in the 180s. The last 20 of the 2:30 minutes was on direct. Despite the high reading it retained plenty of juice and the flavor was amazing.

The brine's effect seemed to be much more pronounced when using this method. There was minimal charcoal taste and great browning throughout the entire bird; though the skin could have been crispier.

Next time I will check temp after 7-9 min/lb and probably put it on direct right then to crisp the skin more. Despite those changes for next time, this bird turned out great.

Back