Genesis 1100 LP rebuild project - call for opinions about grates

Friends,

Thought I would share my recent Genesis 1100 rebuild experience and seek opinions about next steps.

For a while my late 1997 or 1998 Genesis was not working as it should; since I was leaning toward replacement, I didn't worry about it much, but finally I couldn't stand it anymore, decided I would be better off spending money to rebuild than buying new. I'd love one of the new $2000 dreamboats, but figured I could rebuild AND buy a WSM for half that.

New burners and SS flavorizers were a little tough to find locally, but after 3 Ace Hardware stores, 2 Home Depots, and OSH and a BBQ Galore, I had my parts, along with a few new SS nuts and bolts (literally.)

Cleaned it up, painted the firebox, put it back together and I'm very pleased so far with the results--works like new.

My questions about next steps concern:

1. New grates. I've got plain cast iron, which are great for cooking, but terrible for upkeep. I understand the pluses and minuses with respect to the PCI and 9mm SS rods, but wonder if anyone knows which performs most like the plain old cast iron?

2. Valve/Manifold assembly. Now that I've invested in new burners and bars, and will be getting new grates, I've pretty much accepted that if the valves go south, I'll need to replace them as well since I'm pretty much committed to keeping this grill at this point. Has anyone replaced this part? Where did you find it and approximately how much should I allocate?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I have the pci grates and am very happy with the performance.

Try calling Weber customer service for all replacement parts. You never know, they may even send it to you free!

Tom,

Glad to hear another vote for PCI grates. It sounds like they are closest to what I'm used to.

I did call Weber about the manifold, but the person I spoke to sounded confused. Not urgent on this end, so hopefully others here will have some wisdom to share.

Chris

Chris,

Take a look at the schematics for your grill on the Weber site. You can reference the part number with the cust svc rep.

T

Tom,

I had already tried the Weber site and found two part numbers, 63702 and 63225, however, these are both described as "Manifold for Genesis 1000, 2000, and 3000 liquid propane tanks with quick-disconnect." Since I don't have quick-disconnect, these might or might not be right.

In any case, I don't need to solve this problem today, just want to be on the look-out for the part I need so I can grab a deal if I see one.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Back