Mods to my 2009 WSM

Craig M.

TVWBB Member
After doing a cook and reading up on this site I decided to go ahead and do a couple of simple mods that seemed to make sense.

Added handles to handles to center section, Genie handles worked great, just had to put them in the vice and bend slightly.

Added copper handles to lower grill, used heavy ground wire. I think it will work well, if not I can remove very easily.

Purchased 12 1/4" clay saucer for use in the water plan. On my next cook I'm going to forego water and try the foiled saucer. The 12 1/4" saucer fits perfect down in the water pan on the 2009 WSM with about 3 inches of air space between it and the bottom of water pan.

I want to do the eyelet modification, where is the best place to install that? Where do I get the eyelet kit? Whats a good digital remote thermometer to purchase and where?

Thanks all, love this site.....

Craig, Eyelits most get from the BBQ Guru. the BBQ Guru folks. Shipping is steep on the though. As far as where to put them, I used the top hole for the grate bracket to the right of the door. You can use either side or both sides since 2 eyelits come per pack.

There are basically two digital remotes that people are using - the Maverick (ET-73) or the NuTemp. I'm sure if you do a search on either of these you'll have more to read that you'll want. Save yourself the time. There has been one significant complaint with the Maverick and that is it's range. Unless you have "line of sight", you might have a problem. It has some other quirks but for the price, people seem happy with them. I have one and although I don't use it anymore, I was happy with it for the price.

If you're a price is no object person and you don't want to have any issues, I'd get a NuTemp. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the NuTemps.

HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
If you're a price is no object person and you don't want to have any issues, I'd get a NuTemp. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the NuTemps.

HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah good post Jerry. I forgot that question. I'm a Nu-Temp guy. The range is great and I've had mine for over 5 years now, no issues. I'd buy them again in a heart beat. I have one base unit (RX) with two transmit (TX) units.

Bryan, can you provide a model number on the NU-Temp? This sounds as if it would be sometihng that I would like to do to my WSM. Thanks.
Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Perez:
Bryan, can you provide a model number on the NU-Temp? This sounds as if it would be sometihng that I would like to do to my WSM. Thanks.
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Joe, Here's the link for you. Any questions just ask.
icon_wink.gif

So far to date...Casters, mounted Guru on Leg, Eyelets on rightside of door, Guru inlet adapter below charcoal grate, removed tabs on all vents for full closure of vents. Today, drill holes 5 3/4" down from top grate at same intervals ( average ht of BB Ribs) allowing more capacity. Made 1" sq tubing cart to hold 3 22" WSM for comps. Almost finished.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
There are basically two digital remotes that people are using - the Maverick (ET-73) or the NuTemp. I'm sure if you do a search on either of these you'll have more to read that you'll want. Save yourself the time. There has been one significant complaint with the Maverick and that is it's range. Unless you have "line of sight", you might have a problem. It has some other quirks but for the price, people seem happy with them. I have one and although I don't use it anymore, I was happy with it for the price.

I have a Maverick E-7 and used it for the first time on a Christmas Eve Turkey and it worked very well.

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
So far to date...Casters, mounted Guru on Leg, Eyelets on rightside of door, Guru inlet adapter below charcoal grate, removed tabs on all vents for full closure of vents. Today, drill holes 5 3/4" down from top grate at same intervals ( average ht of BB Ribs) allowing more capacity. Made 1" sq tubing cart to hold 3 22" WSM for comps. Almost finished. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love to see some pictures of your mods Bill!

Brandon, not good w/posting pics, maybe there is some info somewhere to walk me through. I also mounted 2 weber performer OTG bases to the cart allowing easy clean-up. Going to put a Chubby on the end near the wheels, then there is 2 22" WSM's all on the same cart, total length of only 7' allowing easy maneuverbility and the fact that it fits in the back of a pick-up truck to schlep to Comps.

I was ordering these therms right now and to make me feel better, Im ordering through your link the "NU-701 Simple Wireless BBQ THERM." and ALSO (since I want to do two temps at the same time, cooker temp, and meat) the "NEW 751 Additional remote sensor" this seems right to me.. ? is it? thanks a million.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Perez:
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Joe, Here's the link for you. Any questions just ask.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

Have you tested this through any kind of walls, or without line of sight? I'm with everyone else who complains about my Maverick ET-73's only real limitations are the fact that as soon as I lose line of sight, I rarely get updates to the control unit.

The Nu-Temp w/ Food Probe and Extra Probe to monitor smoker temps are almost $100 shipped. Meanwhile the ET73 is about $40 shipped.

Although, all of this will be moot if I ever decide to drop the $$$ for a Stoker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JeremyC:
Bryan,

Have you tested this through any kind of walls, or without line of sight? I'm with everyone else who complains about my Maverick ET-73's only real limitations are the fact that as soon as I lose line of sight, I rarely get updates to the control unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeremy, Dug this one out of the basement.
icon_biggrin.gif
Link to my review from 02.

After a couple more cooks I have to say the heavy ground wire handles on the lower cook grate were a great modification. Its so convenient to be able to reach down in pull out rack or place it down in cooker with meat on it.
Just an FYI

Back