Do I *need* a Go-Anywhere?

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
I want one (charcoal), of course, but would like to be able to justify the purchase if I can't find a cheapie on Craigslist (and I don't recall ever seeing one there).

I already have 1 SJ and 1 SJP, so would I really be gaining anything with a G-A? The SJ works good for tailgating and in terms of grilling area has almost as much as the G-A's advertised 160 sq. inches, although the shapes are obviously different. And the G-A isn't as tall as the SJs, which adds to the portability.

I can't imagine Weber not making the G-A if it didn't sell well so clearly people buy it, but to me anyway it doesn't seem to offer that much more than the SJ.

So what part of the picture am I not seeing?

Brad

PS If anyone's looking to get rid of a charcoal G-A, I'm over here jumping up and down and waving my arms at you.
icon_wink.gif

Hey Brad,

The Go Anywhere isn't one of Weber's better products. Do a search of these boards and you'll find it gets mixed reviews, at best.

Don't be fooled by the increase in square inches of cooking surface. There's a huge waste of space at the corners of the G-A where cooking is impossible. In fact, the actual usable area is much smaller with the G-A than the SJ. The G-A isn't as tall as the SJ, but the translation is that the food grate is too close to the charcoal -- so it won't cook like the Weber you're used to.

Just because they make it, and it sells, doesn't mean it's worth a damn. I had a G-A, and after much frustration I stripped the handles off and threw it away.

Of course, YMMV. Good luck.

On edit, check this link.

Hi Brad,

Here' my impression of the GA Charcoal grill:

- I rate it a two and half season grill (I live in southern Ontario). There's not much room for more than one layer of charcoal and therefore not enough critical mass to sustain wind and cooler temperatures.

- the grill is too close to the coals, which is ok as I've adopted by heaping the coals to one end and cooking on the other end, finishing off by a cook cook directly over the coals. I have not done it yet but I think it may be a good idea to take a hacksaw to the grill so that two thirds of it is used as cooking surface and pile up the coals where the remaining third of the grill would have gone.

I do however like this grill very much within it's constraints. It's good for two to four people, it's well made, it does not take up much room, it's portable, it's efficient with charcoal - I use one of those big slotted spoons to scoop out the dregs for the next go round.

If I could buy a SJ Platinum in southern Ontario I would very likely do so.

While I don't eat a lot af bbq, I do enjoy having the luxury of time on weekends when I can work with charcoal and this grill allows me to do that. Sometimes it's just so nice to have food cooked over charcoal.

I would not be in a hurry to buy one. If it makes sense for you to own one then maybe your patience will be rewarded if you keep an eye out for one on Craiglist or EBAy,

Rod

In the past I did not have time to Q frequently - I had a gas G-A hooked to a 20# tank and used it frequently (with some wet wood chips) to turn out some good food (not as good as I can do with a kettle)

I think Weber is concentrating on gas grills, and adapted the gas G-A to use charcoal. IMHO we should ignore the charcoal G-A and concentrate on their great kettles.

Brad - It may say Weber, but it doesn't look like a Weber. Keep an eye open on trash day. Otherwise spend your money on more meat.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Brad - It may say Weber, but it doesn't look like a Weber. Keep an eye open on trash day. Otherwise spend your money on more meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>But if it had a BGE tag on it you'd be telling me how great it is...
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I don't need one after all!

Brad

I have the Gas Go Anywhere and like it- maybe just because over 5 seasons I'm used to it. It gets a lot of use when we go camping both as a grill and with my griddle on top for pancakes. I even bake pizza in it. Since it's my only gas grill I also break it out when I'm too lazy to do charcoal in the kettle or Little Joe at home.

I like the propane model for camping because it is always available even if there are fire restrictions. A healthy handful of wood chips gives good smoke flavor.

I wouldn't think the charcoal version would be as useful for the reasons cited above.

The Gas Go Anywhere isn't perfect though. High isn't hot enough to get a good sear, low blows out sometimes in the wind, and heat distribution is a bit uneven. Like I said above I've learned to adjust- I actually fine it handy to know one side is hotter than the other so I put the thicker pieces there. It makes a great cut-up grilled chicken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim W.:
I have the Gas Go Anywhere and like it- maybe just because over 5 seasons I'm used to it. It gets a lot of use when we go camping both as a grill and with my griddle on top for pancakes. I even bake pizza in it. Since it's my only gas grill I also break it out when I'm too lazy to do charcoal in the kettle or Little Joe at home.

I like the propane model for camping because it is always available even if there are fire restrictions. A healthy handful of wood chips gives good smoke flavor.

I wouldn't think the charcoal version would be as useful for the reasons cited above.

The Gas Go Anywhere isn't perfect though. High isn't hot enough to get a good sear, low blows out sometimes in the wind, and heat distribution is a bit uneven. Like I said above I've learned to adjust- I actually fine it handy to know one side is hotter than the other so I put the thicker pieces there. It makes a great cut-up grilled chicken. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is the exact reason i have the gas-go anywhere, during the dry months of the summer when i go camping or to a football game where fire restrictions may be in place. Also when i get lazy yet still want some grilled food it fits the bill nicely. I think it is easier to take along if you have to walk any distance at all(like a fishing trip) dont have to drag charcoal along... I've had mine for 8yrs and it still going strong. However I prefer the smokey joe for good flavor.

Brad
I love demonstrating the Go Anywhere charcoal.
I just grill steaks and chicken fillets on it. (Though sometimes I do a large field mushroom.) A little bit of wood for smoke 3 1/2 minutes a side for steak 4 1/2 minutes a side for chicken fillets absolutely wonderfull, Compact with locking handles that convert to legs, great airflow.
You need to have one You have worked for it, you deserve it and nobody should deprive you of the opportunity to have it. Just think of the fun you can have mastering the art of small cooks with it, think of the wonderful tastes that are waiting to happen when you fire it up for the first time.

Why are you procrastinating, its another tool in the BBQ arsenal.

Regards

I noticed over the weekend at Home Depot, the gas Go-Anywhere has clearance tags now. They wanted $27 for them.

As to whether you "need" a Go-Anywhere, yes you do need one. Just like all the grills and smokers I keep accumulating.

I have a charcoal GA, that I use when on vacation.. I like it a lot! I have cooked almost everything with it: fish, roasts, steaks etc.
005Langeland-4.jpg

I have even used it for baking:
Madbrød-3.jpg
[/URL]

I don't own a GA, but almost bought one. I think it wouldn't get as much use as my 22 OTS but I do see it being an absolutley perfect shish kabob cooker! Spread in a layer of hot lump, remove the cooking grate, and lay the bobs across the grill. A foot-long skewer would leave plenty of wood on both sides for heat free turning of the kabob.

I just didn't want to buy it at full price for a unitasker. If I see it on sale, I will get it though.

Regards
KenA

I just cooked 10 shishkabobs on my Go Anywhere Gas yesterday. Came home soaking wet & starving or else I'd have used the OTP. I was able to fit 5 kabobs on lengthwise at a time.

I've owned a Gas Go Anywhere grill for years and I am not a fan. The uneven heating really reduces the actual cooking area and it is the worst portable gas grill that I have owned for flame flare-ups. I've kept it because it is portable and has been durable. Being a big fan of Weber products, I thought it would be top of the line, which it is for build quality, but functionality is not as expected.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There's a huge waste of space at the corners of the G-A where cooking is impossible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why is that? I'm thinking of buying a G-A and am interested.
I would have thought if there was coal under all parts of the cooking grate then the heat would be all over with no "cold spots", but I would be glad to hear the experiences of someone who has used the G-A.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DAVIDMICHAEL:
This is the exact reason i have the gas-go anywhere, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a gas GA also. Hated it the first time I used it and it sat in my shed for years. Finally started using it again a couple years ago and have grown to like it when I'm making something quick for just one or two people at home and don't want to start the other big grills.

I wouldn't think a charcoal GA would be worth it if you have a Smokey Joe.

Back