Foodsaver V3840 opinions?

Jake S

TVWBB Fan
I've been in the market for a foodsaver for a while, and i recently stumbled across a V3840 on craigslist. Is this a good model? It seems to have most of the features people talk about: two vacuum levels, two sealing modes, instant seal...

Anyone have one who can recommend for or against? Is $100 a good price?

Thanks for your help!

I shied away from the upright foodsaver because somewhere along the line I got the idea that they use more bag material. I just don't recall where that came from. Possibly from this forum.

I have the V3825 upright (Costco), and yes, it does use more bag material. About 1 to 1 1/2 inches more, I'd guesstimate.

I like the upright case and the retractable vacuum hose. It is, though, a larger machine than my previous models. I have to say that it does a really good job on canisters and Mason jars (I like to store in glass if possible). Sealing takes a little longer -- there is something that sounds like a pre-motor before and after the vacuum motor begins, but the new, wider seal is better than on previous models.

A QUESTION - for those who also own an upright: Does anyone have a problem trying to RE-seal previously-used bags? Because the cut edges want to curl, it is difficult to feed them into the slot in the machine for re-sealing. I have solved it somewhat by using a strip of masking tape to hold the 2 cut edges together, leaving some untaped space toward the sides so that the machine can pull a vacuum. Then I carefully feeding the taped edge into the machine and seal it. Cumbersome, but most of the time it works.

I just called F/S to see if they have come up with a solution to this since I called about a year ago. They have not, but the lady suggested that they are having a special on their bag material. I mentioned that it was a waste not to reuse bags and pulled out the magic "green" word.

My bag material is probably a couple of years old. Hopefully, they cave corrected this problem with the newer bags -- is anyone here using new bags and/or material?

Rita

I own the V3840 - I previously owned the Professional II. The V3840 does take some time to get used to but is a MUCH BETTER System.

As far a bags and rolls. I do believe the new Foodsaver brand rolls are made better and curl up less. I reuse bags all the
time - especially like with products that as you use it up the
bag gets smaller - then after about 5 reseals - you throw it away.

Also - buy your bags direct - I get rolls direct from FoodSaver for $5.59 a roll! Using coupons on this site: FoodSaver Rolls

Steve, it's a relief to know that the new roll material has improved. Thanks for the coupon site -- I've bookmarked it. It will be interesting to see how the price with a coupon compares with the Costco price.

Rita

I recently aquired one of those upright models. I'm still getting used to it, but the one thing I have noticed, and am mildly irritated about, is the fact that it wastes a good inch of bag material for every seal.

The other thing I noticed, it doesn't seem to pull quite as strong a vacuum as my previous horizontal model.

Originally posted by r benash:
I buy bags and roll material here - works great in foodsavers:

ATC Rolls

ATC Bags

Same place sells Tillia bags and rolls as well. Prcies are competetive and they ship quickly.

Seems like that when you include the cost of the shipping, I get slightly better deals at BBB when using the 20% off coupons.

Originally posted by Don Irish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
I buy bags and roll material here - works great in foodsavers:

ATC Rolls

ATC Bags

Same place sells Tillia bags and rolls as well. Prcies are competetive and they ship quickly.

Seems like that when you include the cost of the shipping, I get slightly better deals at BBB when using the 20% off coupons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CORRECTION: I stopped by BBB last night to pick up some more qt. bags and Tilia has REDUCED the number of bags from 48 to 44 at the same price...another example of sneaky price increases...decrease the size but keep the price the same. The site mentioned above are now a better deal (by .04/bag for ~ quart size bags).

I am sooooooo glad I found this board. I have been searching for the best deal to buy a new V3840 and thanks to Steve, I got the best deal thru Stoorz.com.

Thanks Steve

I rarely use my food saver. I use the vacuseal bags most. The problem is the largest bag is only one gallon. The good thing is you can open and reseal. There better for storing grilling meats such as chicken parts and steaks etc.

Back