Share your cold smoking set up?

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I have been trying a couple different ways lately and would like to see what some of you are useing.

I put a an old pan of wood chips in my wsm and stick a soldering iron in it. Works great but you have to redistribute the chips every 45 minutes or so as the ones next to the iron burn up.

I have a top loading Big Chief smoker. I take the rack out and set it on top of the smoker on the lid. I place the cardboard box that the smoker came in over the top of the rack. It extends down far enough to cover some the smoker as well.

I place the pan of chips in through the front access door and let it begin. The Big Chief lid has vent holes in it so the smoke rises up into the cardboard box encased rack.

The temp holds around 90F for me.

Gier, that setup is markedly better than my kludge but if you're just looking to experiment with cold-smoking cheeses or fish or steaks before cooking them, then give the soldering iron a try.

I should say to make sure you use a new soldering iron from the store, not one with burnt-on metal and plastic and solder from circuitry projects.

I should also say that I stole the idea from John Wallace, a TVWBB member, in this article he wrote.

Back