Another Welcome!

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
I'm delighted that you are doing another session, Jamie -- the first since I became a member. I have "Way to Grill" and "The Big Book" and am looking forward to "Weber's Smoke". I got "Way to Grill" after I've spent more than a year with my Genesis and WSM, but I still find it is my goto book for new-to-me situations.

My WSM is now well-modified and I've pretty much found a way to handle any problems, but one thing STILL seems to constantly recur -- if left alone, the temp will slowly reduce until I have to intervene. This happens even when there is enough charcoal to last through a Boston Butt. And on my last ribs, I was using Royal Oak lump.

The "door prop" mod now handles these situations very well, but I'm still wondering what causes it. The upper vent is wide open, the lowers typically about 20% open. Adjusting the lowers will cause the heat to change, but again it usually settle unless they are well open -- then it gets too hot.
icon_redface.gif

It's not a biggie -- I have my solution -- but I was wondering if you have a suggestion. (And yeah, I know it's sort of "who knows".
icon_smile.gif

I'm also looking forward to your response to Jim Lampe's question.

Rich

Hey, thanks a lot, Rich --

So, if your temperature is dropping below where you want it and you have plenty of charcoal in the smoker, my guess is you don't have enough airflow. I'd start by opening that bottom vent a bit more, maybe 50% open. Also, be sure that you have removed the old ashes that settle on the bottom of the smoker. Too many ashes can restrict the flow of air.

Good luck with that.

Jamie

Back