Is the PitMinder good enough?

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
I'm planning on a temp control system for my birthday present (another year rolls by in May).

As seemed common on this board, I started with the comparison of Stoker and DigiQII and settled on the DigiQ since I wouldn't ever use the computer access of the Stoker and the Guru product seemed simpler and got good reviews here.

Well now, I have real questions about whether or not I even need the "bells and whistles" of the DigiQII.

I primarily want the system so I can have good sleep during overnighters or be able to comfortably leave the smoker for several hours to go golfing or something. I want to still be "in control" of my cooking for the most part. I don't think I would care for the ramp feature of the DigiQII...I plan on always being there towards the end of a cook. Also I have a good NuTemp remote thermometer with 3 transmitters for meat temps so I don't see why I need a meat probe with the temp control system.

With the significant price differential of the PitMinder and the DigiQII, I'm thinking the PitMinder is all I really need.

Is that a mistake? Any info is appreciated.

A PitMinder with remote therms is perfect for what you want to do. Honestly, I have 2 Competitors and the same Nu-Temp setup you have and I never use the Guru's meat therm any more, basically using it in the same config/mode as a MitMinder. You can save some $$$ going that route.
icon_smile.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm with Bill. I have a Competitor and haven't used the meat probe in a while. The Guru people will make you a setup with a pit probe only, without the attached meat probe, if you call them. I like mine; that extra wire flopping around was a nuisance and I didn't want to cut it off in case I needed it in the future if my Thermapen went out.

If you'll be doing a lot of high-heat cooks, you might consider the Competitor. Maybe someone with a PitMinder will chime in to tell us if it will keep the temps up throughout the cooking time.

Rita

Lee,

I own a pitminder, it is a good little tool. I purchased one because my wsm is built-in, and I thought vent access would be a problem. The pitminder solved that problem. With that said, in my climate, I don't know if the cooker is anymore or less set-it and forget- it, it was quite stable to being with. Perhaps a little more efficient with fuel. Overnighters, go do something for a bit... can do.

If you ever want more then just the control of your fuel, you might want to consider the others. I too check the food with a thermapen.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n... too many choices!
Gary

I've used both the PitMinder and the Competitor, and I think the PitMinder is just fine. As others say, there are cheaper ways to monitor the meat, and the ramp mode hasn't been that important to me.

I have the BBQ guru and I do not use the meat probe at all. I find using a remote thermometer works best for me, and I just use the guru to regulate the pit temp. Some folks like the ramp mode but I have never used it and really don't see the need for it. If I had it to do over again I would go with the pit-minder and a good quality remote meat thermometer.

Even if the money was not a concern “and it is” I would go with the pit minder. That is what I use ,could not be more satisfied. I think that stainless unit looks good and may be more durable over time.

Rick

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, but I decided to go with the DigiQ II.

I have used a friend's Competitor, and I was really impressed, and I am sure that the Pitminder will work just a good as that unit.

The difference I see is that the DigiQ II has a large red LED that you can see from your kitchen window.

Your wife would appreciate the DigiQ II, because you won't be drinking as much beer. You simply have to look out the window to read the temp, which doesn't require grabbing a beer like it would if you were going outside to check the Polder.

I am very happy with the DigiQ II, but the Pitminde is awesome too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think that stainless unit looks good and may be more durable over time.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was one of my concerns. The electronic aspect of the DigiQ.. Kinda made me nervous since Im already on my 3rd ET-73.

"That was one of my concerns. The electronic aspect of the DigiQ.. Kinda made me nervous since Im already on my 3rd ET-73."

Jim,

You may want to try this… I keep a assortment of cheep zip bags on my cook trailer. Each piece of equipment , the Guru controller, the fan ”leave room for it to breath” and each remote thermometer is placed in a zip bag to keep them clean and dry. You can still see everything you need to , they are just weather and “Rickproff”. At the end of a cook just toss the nasty ones.Well in my case , all of them....

Rick

I have a Competitor and love it. I would love to have the Digi Q, just because I want one.
icon_smile.gif
That said the Pitminder is really all you need. It's all about your wants, verses what do I really need, and can I afford it.
icon_wink.gif
I like toys, always have, always will, so I tend to go overboard when I don't have to.
icon_rolleyes.gif

What is the actual average over under on the settings on the pitminder? Ive heard some people talking about 20 degrees each way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Babek:
What is the actual average over under on the settings on the pitminder? Ive heard some people talking about 20 degrees each way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tht sounds more like what I've hear about the Stoker..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Babek:
What is the actual average over under on the settings on the pitminder? Ive heard some people talking about 20 degrees each way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim, That seems really high to me. I know not a Pitminder, but my competitor and my Ashcroft that's in the lid are almost dead on to one another. Same goes if I put a NU-701 in the WSM.

Oh, you're talking about the differences between actuall temp readings, not temp swings. Sorry. Yeah, I've noticed that with one of my Competitors, ~20º difference between it's reading and remote therms. I never understood why their probes would read correctly in boiling water but ~20º off in the pit. The Guru folks said it was all in the placement of the probe and offered alternative positions...
icon_eek.gif

Me, since I don't use the meat probes any more, I reset the pit temp dial to read correctly with my Nu-Temps. HTH

Bill

Jim,

I have been hearing the same thing and was looking for it to happen to me .If you place a probe of a separate therm where you want to , or are used to obtaining the reading ,just set the Guru to achieve that goal. On my Guru @ a target temp of 225*f will be close . The Pit minder has a back lit window that illuminates the numerals on the dial. No pointer. At the 225 setting the numerals are at the bottom of the window. Getting to now the Guru and setting it to achieve what I want it to do didn’t take much time. You will find that meat placement , flow of the hot air and who knows how many other variables will come into play , but that Guru will sure make for a good nights sleep . They will hold a steady temp, as long as it will hold what you want , does it matter if the dial is a little off.

Rick

Nope, doesnt matter to me a bit if the dial is a bit off. Im just trying to figure what to expect. Id rather creep up on the temp than shoot past it and fight to bring the cooker back down.

That’s what like to do. Put the meat on at a low temp to smoke, then after a time pick the heat up to the cruising temp and let her do her thing. You may at some point in time find you need to choke down the Guru. There is a slide plate in the fan unit that can control how much flow/ natural draft .There will be a natural draft when the fan is not running, not much but some and the plate is useful. I remember in one of these post someone mentioned a 10 cfm fan, That most likely will be more than you want on a WSM. That is what I use on my BWS Competitor and I have to close the slide plate as much as ½ on it after it gets to the cruising temp.

Rick

Back