Lemon Drop

Todd R.

TVWBB Super Fan
Lemon Drop

2 part simple syrup
1 part Vodka
1 part Fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 part Triple sec

I shake with ice and pour the whole thing into a glass, my wife likes to add a splach of club soda to it. I think it is traditionaly served "strained" into a Martini Glass but I enjoy the ice.

We use lemon flavored "rimmer" from william sonoma on the glass...again very refreshing and tastey!

Here's the "old fashioned" method:

1/2 slice lemon
teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons water
Ice
vodka

Muddle the lemon, sugar, and water in glass. Cover with ice. Fill with vodka and stir. Sip using straw.

Variations:

Strain and serve "up"
Use lemon peel for more subtle flavor.

Sub Bourbon for vodka and orange for lemon. Add dash bitters. Perfect "old fashioned".

I prefer the SHOT better. Put the bottle of Vodka in the freezer for a day or so and let it get nice and slushy. Pour into a shot glass and squeeze fresh lime or lemon on top. The lemon juice will instantly freeze as well. Sprinkle a little sugar on it or rim the shot glass with sugar and down the hatch. Warning: These go down very nice and smooth and will hit you before you know it.
I have another variation that I call Sangre del Diablo (Devil's Blood) Same slushy vodka in a shot glass. Fill a separate shot glass 3/4 with Clamato or Spicy V-8 veggie juice and fill the rest to the top with lime juice. Rim the juice shot with salt. Vodka shot first then follow with the juice chaser shot. You can also add some tabasco to the juice shooter for an added kick. Kind of like a Bloody Mary in two parts.

Never heard of any of these "Lemon Drops"
take a 1/2 slice of lemon coat both sides with sugar. Pour a shot of vodka, slam down shot, bite into sugar coated lemon, yumm! That's a Lemon Drop.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Never heard of any of these "Lemon Drops"
take a 1/2 slice of lemon coat both sides with sugar. Pour a shot of vodka, slam down shot, bite into sugar coated lemon, yumm! That's a Lemon Drop.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

That's my recollection of the Lemon Drop as well.

Originally posted by Rob A.:
I prefer the SHOT better. Put the bottle of Vodka in the freezer for a day or so and let it get nice and slushy. Pour into a shot glass and squeeze fresh lime or lemon on top. The lemon juice will instantly freeze as well. Sprinkle a little sugar on it or rim the shot glass with sugar and down the hatch. Warning: These go down very nice and smooth and will hit you before you know it.
I have another variation that I call Sangre del Diablo (Devil's Blood) Same slushy vodka in a shot glass. Fill a separate shot glass 3/4 with Clamato or Spicy V-8 veggie juice and fill the rest to the top with lime juice. Rim the juice shot with salt. Vodka shot first then follow with the juice chaser shot. You can also add some tabasco to the juice shooter for an added kick. Kind of like a Bloody Mary in two parts.

What kind of vodka do you use that gets slushy? I generally keep a bottle in the freezer and it's never been slushy. I'd prefer it that way though
icon_smile.gif

Wife just discovered this drink and loves them so I am going to you guys for some advice.

1. After reading the lemoncello thread why wouldn't you just use that since it is vodka with lemon/sugar? Wouldn't this be easier?

2. I know the drink calls for vodka but could you use Everclear? What does that do to the taste of the lemon drop? Do you need the vodka for a specific taste?

I drink beer and wine and stay away from the sweet drinks so I need your help with this one.

Originally posted by Chris Notarpole:
Wife just discovered this drink and loves them so I am going to you guys for some advice.

1. After reading the lemoncello thread why wouldn't you just use that since it is vodka with lemon/sugar? Wouldn't this be easier?

2. I know the drink calls for vodka but could you use Everclear? What does that do to the taste of the lemon drop? Do you need the vodka for a specific taste?

I drink beer and wine and stay away from the sweet drinks so I need your help with this one.
Chris,

As a service to you, I have prepared a vodka-lemoncello Lemon Drop for pesonal consumption. I find the flavor to be overly harsh and way, way, way too sweet. It is not a good substitute for the original recipe.

I would discourage using Everclear, it is just too strong for consumption by anyone but fratboys. Vodka is cheaper, anyway.

Jim

Thanks Jim for taking one for the team!
I don't like super sweet drinks and I would imagine if I made the lemoncello, I would decrease the amount of sugar. It just seemed like a good idea at the time....thought I could get two drinks out of making just one.

Back