The Weber WSM (Possible Redesign)

Ernest Buckley

TVWBB Fan
Hey Everyone,
We all love our WSMs because of the quality construction and the taste of the food. However, it seems after using it now for a good 2 months, I have had several ideas that I think would make it even better.

1. Enlarge the overall size of the unit to a 22 1/2 diameter.

2. Add handles to the middle section.

3. Include a built in thermometer.

4. Make the water pan deeper (it will naturally widen with the enlarged unit)

5. Put a marking on the front door handle to make it easier to know when the door is closed and will not fall off.

There are several more mods I would make but I`m curious to see if you guys come up with them.

Again, the WSM is an awesome unit but if Weber were ever to re-design it, I would like to see some of these changes.

Thanks!

I would also like to add

6.) handles on ALL the grates

7.) guru-like eyelets. But eyelets would be threaded and have the ability to cap through the use of screws when not in use.

8.) grid charcoal grate design...prevents small pieces from falling through

1. I know 22.5" makes it compatible with the 22.5" kettles and probably more efficient to produce, but I would make it a full 24" Never did understand the purpose of 22.5". In the WSM or the Kettles.

9. Add a stacker option that is about 1/2 or so as high as the mid section. Large enough to add a 3rd rack with the same spacing.

10. Add a fish/sausage/meat hanger to the lid for longer items and cold smoking of fish, sausage, etc. Like they have in the ProQ. Especially handy with the stacker.

Forget the marking on the door knob-I would like to see a real door. Stronger and with hindges simular to the one on the stacker. And it fits tight so no leakage.

All great suggestions... might I also add

- High temp silicone gasket on the access door to allow for a proper seal.

- even if it was an extra option, additional grates that can stack on the existing grates giving you room for up to 4 levels.

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:
Hey Everyone,
We all love our WSMs because of the quality construction and the taste of the food. However, it seems after using it now for a good 2 months, I have had several ideas that I think would make it even better.

1. Enlarge the overall size of the unit to a 22 1/2 diameter.

2. Add handles to the middle section.

3. Include a built in thermometer.

4. Make the water pan deeper (it will naturally widen with the enlarged unit)

5. Put a marking on the front door handle to make it easier to know when the door is closed and will not fall off.

There are several more mods I would make but I`m curious to see if you guys come up with them.

Again, the WSM is an awesome unit but if Weber were ever to re-design it, I would like to see some of these changes.

Thanks!
Other than #1, you can mod your WSM to have all of those. Quite fun too, if you haven't already. #4 we all use a brinkmann pan from Bass Pro shops I believe.

As for #5, I just twist it and test it (slight tug). Haven't had a problem so far.

Good Lord, wouldn't we all be the happiest little pig burners in the world, if they offered the WSM in a 24 inch size!

yeah, all the other mods can be done by us.

Hey Guys-

Yes, I have already started to perform my own mods (larger water bowl, thermometer) but this is for a possible new WSM! Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,
EB

i'm not sure that there really would be much of a market for that. it would be rather expensive plus now yer getting into the uds area.

i'll second or third, or whatever it is the darn door. and make some braces that mount on to prevent/assist with out of round, and cut the parts actually FLAT and not "wonky" as someone once told me it was called. Just another day or two of disscusion and they would have had it perfect. plust everything else I read because some of us have busy lives and don't have time for mods. would be convinient to have them already there. Overall great product esp. w/ the price. when im eating what I made I feel like I robbed someone for what I paid. oh and they need a new fitting design around the mid connection to the char. bowl. a gauranteed fit of some kind so we never see "air leak....." ever typed again.
icon_biggrin.gif
hope this helps. thanks for the time.

I don`t know what it costs Weber to make the current WSM (probably somewhere around $40 per unit) so with a newer, better version may cost an additional $15 bucks to produce and then you could find it for about $300 street. I would definitely invest in that. The smoker is a specialty piece just from my observations and perhaps it does not make sense for Weber to mass market it as it would for their other well known products such as their One Touch Kettles and Gas Grills. (?)

i like the handles on the lower grate suggestion. that would come in handy for abt's and such. it's hard to get the grate in with food on it without tipping it or burning your fingers.

I don't see the point in most of these things. My Wsm cooks fine without them.
1 Increase the size. I can cook 40 lbs or so of meat on this size. Increasing the size would just make it burn more charcoal to do the same thing. Most people just don't cook more meat on a regular basis.
2 Handles on the middle. After 50 or 60 cooks, not once have I ever taken the middle off with the cooker hot. Don"t need handles on the middle.
3 Built in thermometer. Got a $15 thermometer that goes in the vent at the top. Tells me everything I need to know. Plus the added benefit, if it goes wonky, I can just toss it and get a new one almost anywhere.
4. Bigger waterpan. I foil the pan and start with it full. Only occasionally do I refill the waterpan even if my cook goes 16-18 hours. If I do refill it, I pour hot water in with a watering can using the side door.
5. Mark the Door. I just look at the latch and start with it 1/4 turn before straight up. When it goes on, 1/4 turn clockwise puts it straight up. It never falls off and I always know where it is pointing.

Wsm is a great unit just like it is and I see little to indicate that your "improvements" would make it better.

Originally posted by Bill_W:
Handles on the lower grate might be worth doing.

i now have my mind set on getting some stainless steel U bolts and some SS nuts and washers and making my own handles. sounds like a project for this weekend.

I agree with Bill_W. I marked my door handle with a small piece of red tape for a reference point. I don't see Weber redesigning the WSM to satisfying peoples size fantasies. They would tell you to buy a second bullet as some smokers on this site have. Also Weber is in business to make money and retooling would cost them money. I used a wine cork to hold my Weber thermometer in one of the lid vents and it works great.

It would be nice for ribs if it was a little larger.

Doesn't matter, the product is great the way it is and Weber has no reason to change it. The WSM is already priced comparatively high and making it larger would surely price it out of many people's wallets.

Sure it's worth the money, but there's a reason the cheap one's sell so well.

Unfortunately, in this economy, I doubt any manufacture would want to do anything that would increase the cost of a product they are selling to the public.

Back