Smoke time/foiling

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Hey Dr., thanks for taking the time to answer questions here!

I'm wondering about smoke time and cooking time, and how it relates to the use/misuse of foil. There are a lot of people who believe that meat (brisket, pork shoulder, etc.) will stop "absorbing" smoke (and thus smoke flavor) after a certain temperature. Thus, many belive using foil after the meat has reached a certain temperature will not affect the taste of the meat, as far as smoke flavor goes. I'm wondering what your opinion of this is, and what your thoughts are on using foil...not only for competition, but as well as for guys like us? Do you think that decreased cooking time is worth foiling, and what affect does it have on flavor?

Hi Phil,
What you describe is the perfect example of the internet influence on BBQ. First, some experts declare thay have the FAQ of all BBQ. Unfortunately much of it is misleading. Then throw in the readers who just want the best shortcut they can find with the most "Smoke absorption".

First off, smoke apsorption is a bunch of crap. The smoke flavor is almost all hanging on the outside. I don't see a problem with that.

The chemical reaction that creates a smoke ring does cease at 130 or so. Whatever. If you're cooking properly you'll get a smoke ring.

I try not to wrap my briskets or butts until they're done. I think of the bark as a roux. It takes a long slow cooking process with smoke, seasoning, meat juice and heat to create great bark. You can't rush it. I will occasionally wrap those cuts to hurry them up. When they are done I do wrap them, then hold them for a while in an empty ice chest. A short while is fine for pork, but a few hours is best for brisket.

I do wrap my ribs as part of the cooking process, that just seems to work for me.

Back