New Year Day Ribs, with Jax Seal of Approval

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
DSC00306_r.jpg

St Louis style ribs, one seasoned with homemade rub, the other with Jack's Old South Rubba Dubba Rib Rub.

DSC00308_r.jpg

Baked beans and ribs ready for the OTS. Was going to use the WSM today, but my wife saw some BBQ show yesterday with Steve Raichlen about cooking ribs at a higher heat. So thought I would give it a shot, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Besides we can always eat the mistakes!

DSC00312_r.jpg

Ribs and beans ready to take off the grill after 2 1/2 hours. Was able to keep a fairly steady temp of 325, even by using the smokenator (without water). I used a few chunks of pecan and a few chunks of hickory. If you notice, the ribs are upside down in the rib rack. Again this came from that BBQ show and it actually did seem help to keep the ribs moist. Beans did have to have some of the grease removed, but no problem there. They were still delicious!

DSC00311_r.jpg

Fixed some potato bombs (got recipe from BBQ Pit Boys Show). These were stuffed with smoked monterrey jack, prosciutto, green onion and on mine added jalapenos. Rubbed the outside of the potatoes with smoked olive oil, sprinkled with kosher salt, wrapped in bacon and seasoned with Plowboys yardbird rub. Wrapped in foil and cooked on OTS for about an hour at 375, rotating once.

DSC00314_r.jpg

One rack cut up. Nice smoke ring and very moist.

DSC00317_r.jpg

The Jax seal of approval! My wife's crazy parrot normally is afraid of everything. She was actually fighting with my wife for that rib! Guess I know how to shut her up now! She is a Jenday Conure and if anyone else has one, they know how they love to scream all the time. Waiting for her to yell bring more ribs!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

DSC00318_r.jpg

Plated with some smoked kielbasa. All and all it was a great dinner and a good way to bring in the New Year.

Great looking meal! Need to try those taters..
My Mother has a Sunburst (sp?)Conure. Looks 99.8% the same as your bird. But I have never heard her scream! But boy, when it is time for bed...... night night........night night........night night...................

Terrific Ribs Mike!!
The taters sound AWESOME! and the beans i bet were GREAT!
Nice Cookin'!!

Back