Digi Q II

Paul Balzotti

TVWBB Fan
Ok so I am about ready to place an order for one of these so I have it for Memorial Day. My one question is which size fan is everybody ordering?

Thanks Bob. I guess its really personal from reading the post. So when Bryan mentioned closing the damper half way is he talking about the top vent? I thought we always keep that fully open for venting?

I have the DigiQ with a 10cfm fan, but before I ordered it I called BBQ Guru and talked to their engineer. He told me that for the WSM that they always recommend the 10cfm unit.

I too leave the dampener wide open until the temps start approaching the target temp. When it's close to target I close the dampner half way, and close the top vent to 25% or less.

During the first hour of cooking I monitor the temps, because until things settle down the temps jump around a bit. After that you can go have a beer or cut the lawn, because the Guru will take care of the cook.

I would also recommend buying a bag of spare Caymen Clips (alligator clips) for the PIT probe, because I find it slips off. I have spend a lot of time trying to fish mine out of the hot coals,which isn't much fun. A bag of 5 costs about 4 bucks.

Paul-You won't be sorry for buying the DigiQ II. I hardly fire up the WSM anymore without the Guru being hooked up. It really does what they say it does.

Once you have some experienc with it you will find that you always don't need the meat probe hooked up, but for some things it's a must.

Enjoy your new toy!

Paul,

There is an adjustable damper on the fan that allows you to adjust the air flow. I usually run mine ~1/2 open. IMHO, you made the correct choice with the 10CFM fan.

Bob W.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Balzotti:
So when Bryan mentioned closing the damper half way is he talking about the top vent? I thought we always keep that fully open for venting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul, There's a damper on the Guru fan port that you can adjust. I also close my top vent to 1/2 way sometimes and other times not depending on what I'm cooking. HTH

Gary, can you check my post and see if my "strange" thing w/ the guru is what you experience in the first hour or hour and a half, I sure dont understand and have owned and cooked w/ it for a while now. thank you

Okay Dan I did read your post again, and I am wondering where you set the fan dampner and the top vent? It seems to me that your fan is cycling on too often. When my WSM is up to temp the fan only comes on maybe 2 or 3 times per minute (On the Digi Q the LED lets you know that the fan is on). I have used a friend's Competitor, which is close to the Pitminder, and his kept the temp right on during the entire cook.

If your dampner and vents are set like most of us I would then call Tim at BBQ Guru, who is their engineer. He is more than willing to talk to you about problems that you are having.

Lastly, I am doing a pork butt later tonight, and I'll check to see how often the fan comes on.

!... well my fan is stable when it blows for about 3 seconds, and then off for maybe 4 or 5, if not exactly that, then real close. But at the time its "happy" or the guru feels the temp is "stable" I sit there and kind of count, just to see. my seconds may be slightly off is what i'm saying but at the time when im looking at it I can tell when it goes into the mode where it just cruises. I put a ! because that sounds like much more then yours, whatever setup that would be. But 90% of the time i've had top vent at 75% closed, or basicly the thermo. wires pinched. and 90% of the time I have my "natural draft" control thing set at halfway exactly. Although I must stress i've left it wide open before and it absolutely changed nothing. But.. after sleepin on it and thinkin for a while u may be right, may just call them. Although in the mean time im tempted to go try a dry run maybe I guess... hate to but, and tamper w/ it and try a clay pot base and etc. etc. I was just interested in what you were saying because really mine IS perfect after the first hour or hour and a half, thats the thing. I dont hate it, i just dont get it. you understand the problem that imposes w/ trying to go to bed. I've gotton to the point where i know it so well i think, "k goin to sleep now so im gonna set this at 225 and in a hour or hour and a half it will be at my target temp. 235" then when I wake up its ussually at 236 or 237. lol anyway thanks.

Thanks Everybody I have ordered it and just waiting for it to get in the UPS truck and to my house. I will probably post more questions about that damper on the fan once I start to use it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan H.:
I was just interested in what you were saying because really mine IS perfect after the first hour or hour and a half, thats the thing. I dont hate it, i just dont get it. you understand the problem that imposes w/ trying to go to bed. I've gotton to the point where i know it so well i think, "k goin to sleep now so im gonna set this at 225 and in a hour or hour and a half it will be at my target temp. 235" then when I wake up its ussually at 236 or 237. lol anyway thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dan, Cold meat, cold steel, and cold grates, cold everything. Once the 1-2 hrs pass the cold meat isn't so cold anymore and it doesn't have to cycle on as much. Just like your home oven. It heats up to your set temp and turns back on after a very short period because everything is cold. My Comepetitor does the same thing, no worries. HTH

Back