Memphis Dry Rib Rub

Kevin Taylor

TVWBB All-Star
No idea if this is close to Corky's, but it is pretty darn good on its own.

Memphis Style Rib Rub

4 tablespoon(s) Paprika
2 tablespoon(s) Celery salt
2 tablespoon(s) Salt
2 tablespoon(s) Black pepper, coarsely ground
2 tablespoon(s) Cumin powder
2 tablespoon(s) Brown sugar, dark
1 tablespoon(s) Turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon Oregano, dried
1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon(s) Sage, dried
2 Bay leaf(s)
1 teaspoon Dry mustard

Crush the bay leafs and combine all ingredients.

It's been a long time, but I don't remember getting the impression that it-- at least the post-rub anyway-- had much, if any, sugar in it. The rest looks more than plausible, though.

Doug....

I agree. Like I said, I am not sure this was labeled as a Corky's clone...just a general rub with many of the spices associated with that geographic area.

Perhaps the ratio of sugar to the rest is small enough to not be noticeable...it's about 16% of the total mixture....but adds a certain dimension.

Hopefully, someone will try the rub and leave the sugar out completely.

That looks like a great rub Kevin and I will have to try it.

So what are the different influences in Dry rubs that make them regional as in A Texas or lonestar spareribs from smoke an spice or, Memphis dry rub ribs (which were what I always thought dry rub ribs=Memphis style). now there is some discussion of NC style Dry rub ribs?

Does anyone have any insights on regional influences to dry rubs?

I decided to use this recipe today for dry ribs, with a little adjustment. Due to personal household dietary choices, I halved the salt, and-- since I didn't remember the Corky's being all that sweet-- I substituted the Splenda equivalent of 1 Tbsp. of sugar.

I think it came out pretty good, with only one reservation: I decided to try this dry rub after I had already applied and started cooking with my own usual rib rub, which his pretty spicy its ownself, so the end result was almost too spicy. I intend to try this again, but will adjust my pre-rub probably down to just mostly paprika.

I had a bad experience with some bay leaves a few years ago and am frightened of trying to feed my wife something with bay leaves in it again. (the bad experience was mostly her yelling at me about using too many bay leaves, not the actual bay leaves themselves).

How does the bay leaf come off in this recipe? Background or forefront?
P

You could leave it out altogether and not miss it. Or sub 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground rosemary instead.

Back