Shrimp and Salmon Terrine

Phil H

TVWBB Member
This was my first attempt at a homemade terrine. The recipe was taken from the Ruhlman/Polcyn book. I processed the shrimp (26/30 count) with an egg white and cream, then folded together with spinach and mushrooms. This outer filling surrounded a salmon inlay, which then got the steam bath treatment until it reached about 140.
It was really quite simple, and turned out just fine in a pyrex loaf pan.

Wow that looks really good, how difficult did you think it was? I would love to try it but it looks so fancy I don't know if I could do something that well.

Wow.
I really have to try this one. I have the book, but have not looked up the recipe. What is the outer filling?

Some sort of boulillon/broth?

I've made something similar lots of times, but with cubed carrots and green peas added, and the salmon cut into smaller pieces.

Thanks for compliments, guys!

Chris, coming from a novice, I assure you it wasn't difficult. Compared to the frustration of my early attempts at making sausage (casings bursting all over the place), this was a breeze. Really, if you can manage a food processor, you can do this. The only thing I wasn't terribly happy with was how off-center the salmon was, but that can easily be fixed next time.

Geir, the outer filling is the shrimp, cream, and egg white folded together with the spinach and mushrooms.

Next up, oooh, that pork terrine with the tenderloin inlay looks pretty darn good...

1-inch slices, cut in half again so you have a piece of salmon in each squarish piece, fit nicely onto crackers.
I didn't take it any further than that, though I can see it pairing with a side salad for a starter or light main.

Could you post the recipe for this please? I haven't got the book you mention - and I bet it is hard to find here in the UK!

Back