Why was the SJP (Jumbo Joe) discontinued?

Paul A.B.

TVWBB Member
The more I use my SJG (now with an understanding of how to get the side vents to work for me without causing any issues), I keep thinking that I could also use a Jumbo Joe. The Gold is great for around the house, but when you're cooking for more than two people, that 18.5 incher would be sooo much more convenient.

Yes, it is possible to get an 18.5" OTG and add some shorter legs and bungee cords to it ... but didn't the SJP sell for considerably less than the 18.5" OTG?

Why on earth did Weber discontinue the Jumbo Joe? There are still those of us out here who would buy them if you made them, Weber.

I agree. I would buy one new also. I missed out on one on CL, and haven't seen any more since.

The only problem from what I understand is that the SJP was a half inch smaller than the 18.5" one touch, making it much harder to replace a cooking grate.

So, how about this, Weber... make a new SJP that's the same 18.5" size as the one touch. No need for extra machines to make the slightly smaller grates, use the same bowl as the one touch, etc. Also, a low height conversion package FROM WEBER for the one touch grills, both silver and gold, would be awesome. No need to cut up original parts or make new ones, all with full Weber customer support.

At least one of those two ideas would be great, IMO.

I am not sure. Maybe it was stealing sales from both the other 18 and 14" inch grills they were selling.

However, I do have one I found at a bazaar in Fl, I really like the the extra space of a 18" grill compared to a 14" grill.

The Jumbo Joe is way bigger then the SJP or SGJ, the extra 4 " makes a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only problem from what I understand is that the SJP was a half inch smaller than the 18.5" one touch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a SJP that I found at a local Ace Hardware about 1 to 1.5 years ago maybe. It's the same bowl and grate as the 18.5" OTS/OTG. If fact, I did the air vent mod and added the OT cleaning fins and all that jazz posted in the mods section, so the bowl has to be the same size.

So maybe it's just the JJ that is the bigger grate and whatnot. I love that name though, Jumbo Joe, that would be way cool to bring that back.

I find that the SJP 18 incher not very big, I can't imagine cooking on the 14 inchers, I'd think weber would be better off getting rid of the 14" bowls and grates and going with 18's for their smallest line and bring back the SJP/JJ.

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Randall:
SNIP... I can't imagine cooking on the 14 inchers, I'd think weber would be better off getting rid of the 14" bowls and grates ...SNIP
Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no Todd! The SJS is great for small-time grilling and small-time smoking! One size-specific reason I like the SJS is that the cooking grate fits into my dishwasher! And, there is usually just the two of us. So, small is perfect for us.

###

Several years ago, I purchased two Jumbo Joes at Salter's Fireplace in Montgomeryville, PA. I was going to the Y100 Feztival at the E-Center in Camden, NJ...and I needed something to tailgate with. It's a fantastic grill. I wish the vents were top and bottom instead of on the side...but it still cooks wonderfully. I don't possess the requisite skills to do any mods to it, else I would. I was unaware that the grate was it's own unique size until I tried replacing my original grates with 18.5" ones. I couldn't understand why they didn't fit. Called Weber...and despite the model having been discontinued for years at that point (even the SJP, it's successor, had already been long discontinued), they still had replacement grates, and sent me a few for free. I never got to even SEE an SJP...but I love my Jumbo Joes.

If anyone in on this forum is in the SE PA area...and is mechanically inclined...I'd love to have the mods done to them. I'll supply all the top end food and beverage you can handle. LOL Would be even better if I could get'em painted red. :p

One thing I don't like about the SJP/JJ is that it's not portable unless I'm using a truck or SUV; it's too tall to fit in the trunks of my cars. If I need an 18" grill for tailgating I'm actually better off disassembling a standard kettle at home and reassembling it in the ballpark parking lok. So for me the SJP is strictly a home-based grill, and if I want to use an 18" grate I'd rather cook on a standard-height kettle.

Although I do use my SJP every so often so it doesn't feel left out.

Brad

Back