I need an automatic temperature control system!!

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
After a night when my et-73 went off 6 times because temps wouldnt stabilize (rain and wind)I have decided I have to get some kind of automatic temperateure control.

When I last looked out here it was all Guru that was being talked about. Now Stoker seems to dominate the discussion. Are there others that I should be considering?? I'm also looking for a replacement for and aging et-73 or two as well. I'm looking for longer range remote and dual probe.

Can someone bring me up to speed on whats out there and the preferences/ features/benefits of one over the other? thanks

In short, you cannot go wrong with either a Guru or Stoker. They both will control your temperatures.

I'd start here - Guru vs. Stoker

At that point make a check list of what's important to you and pick the one that meets the most of your needs.

Or just buy the Guru Competitor. I'm sure you will be satisfied.

If having a remote is a must, there is only one model that has one, the BBQ Guru ProCom 4 and it'll run you $600+.

The next best thing to a remote is the Stoker can be networked which allows control and monitoring via a PC or laptop.

So ideally if I were creating a product to meet my percieved need. I'd take:

The features of the ET-73-
high low temp alarm for the smoker
separate probe with temprature alarm for the meat
remote control
weather proof

then combined with an automatic temprature control that if it was having difficutly keeping the temprature at a certain level would notify via a wireless remote

Did I mention I wanted it weatherproof since most of my smoking is done from November through March in Wisconsin when I'm at home enough to do it.

I will check out the different ones listed here ...I was jsut wanting to see if there wer others I should be looking at.

So maybe I could get by with a good new remote control thremometer and one of these devices separately...I'll ask in a separate post for thermomether recomendations.

Stoker and BBQ Guru are really the only two in this market for the time being.

If you want waterproof, I believe the new Guru DigiQ II is waterproof though no remote. Using it in combo with a remote therm to notify you if the pit temps drop would work.

Another option that some of the members do here is to use the Stoker with an extension cable so you can keep the control unit indoors, it uses one wire addressable probes so they can all share the same line back to the controller. You still need to protect the connectors on the probes and fan, they aren't water tight.

You can see Dan doing this while cooking in -40 degree temps in Alaska

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/6110092864

I can tell you from experience using both a Guru Competitor or Stoker on a WSM, you can go 10-12 hours on one load of charcoal with no water in the pan and maintain 225-250 the whole time.
----------------------

Originally posted by Matt Jones:
Using it in combo with a remote therm to notify you if the pit temps drop would work.

I sometimes use 2 Nu-Temp remotes with the Guru competitor, 1 in the meat with an alarm, the other in the pit. Nowadays I pretty much trust the Guru, so I just monitor the meat.

As mentioned the Guru Competitor is a great device for the WSM. I love mine (4+ years now) and if it were to fail tomorrow I'd buy another one the same day. I don't need all them bells and whistles with the other models and brands. For a replacement thermo, I've had the 2 NU Temp NU 701's for 5 years now and love them. HTH, Bryan

I am seriously considering the BBQ Guru Competitor but have a few questions:

1. When the meat reaches the desired temp does the Guru Compeitor ramp the smoker temp down?

2. Does the Guru render my ET-73 useless or will I want to use them in combo?

3. Which 10 CFM fan should I get? ($12.00 seems a little steep for an extension cord when I have many of them laying around, but I don't mind the money if it is worth it.)

4. Should I consider the DigiQ II?

1) Yes if you have ramp mode enabled.

2) You can still use the ET-73 for remote monitoring if you'd like.

3) You don't need an extension cord for the WSM, the temp probe lengths are going to limit how far the control unit can be from the smoker, the standard length fan cord is more then long enough.

4. I'd say yes based on the early comments on it, it's digital, watertight and I like the fact the pit and food probes are separate also, with the competitor, they share the same plug so if one probe goes bad, they are both useless.

You can see what a competitor looks like mounted with the 10 CFM pit viper fan looks here - http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/mattjones73/BBQ/...current=DSC_3379.jpg

The controller bolts right on to the fan.

I ordered the DigiQ II with the 10 CFM blower in order to get up to cooking temp quicker. Now I am hoping that I should not have gone with the 4 CFM after reading in the user guide
that the 4 CFM is for small/medium smokers. Can anyone advise me before it is too late to change my order? I always smoke low and slow but that could change someday, I suppose.

You'll be fine with the 10 CFM fan, you can adjust the damper down to control airflow and stop natural draft through the smoker when the fan isn't running.

why is the digiq ii package more than the individual parts? also, the fans in the package all come with the extension, i can't get just the 10cmf fan.

did anyone find the magnetic holder on the site? do they have pics of the colors or just those early shots?

thanks

Strange that you can't order it without the extension on the fan, must be something screwy on their site, I suggest you call them about it and see if they can do the package correctly.

My DigiQ II arrived today but I haven't tried it yet. Looks pretty simple but I have a few questions:

1. Am I correct to assume that I still use the charcoal ring.

2. Using the MM and for low and slow, should I start with 1/2 chimney lit? Full lit?

3. What magnetic mount are they referring to in the list of product features? I've yet to find anything magnetic in the package.

I'm thinking I'm gonna enjoy this little thing.

Originally posted by Tom Barineau:
My DigiQ II arrived today but I haven't tried it yet. Looks pretty simple but I have a few questions:

1. Am I correct to assume that I still use the charcoal ring.

2. Using the MM and for low and slow, should I start with 1/2 chimney lit? Full lit?

3. What magnetic mount are they referring to in the list of product features? I've yet to find anything magnetic in the package.

I'm thinking I'm gonna enjoy this little thing.
1. Yes
2. For the guru I use a instant light propane torch and light off about 3 or 4 spots in the charcoal, assemble the WSM, add the meat, and off you go. If you want to add lit briqs then about 10-12 is enough for the MM.
3. I have the Competitor model, I have no idea about a magnet base.

I am still hanging on the fence between these two.

I like the computer interface of the Stoker(thought I don't really understand how i would do it to monitor it remotely.

I'd also like to be able to run two smokers with the same unit but it dosen't look like one stoker will do that anyways (at least not yet...I think)

I like the weather resintabnce of the DigiQ-II the ramp feature and that may have to override the dual smoker control.

I'd be pairing the digiQ II with a Maverick ET-73 to at least see whats going on with the temps from inside the house. Taht gives me as much remote functionality as i need jsut something to tell me if something is wrong and i need to go pay attention to it.

Any more input or thougths anyone?

Thanks!!

The stoker will handle more than one cooker according to the specs. It says that with expansion ports, it can handle many probes and fans. Remote monitoring is done with the http interface, but remote monitoring can be difficult depending on your router and your knowledge of IP. I wrote software that will keep me aware of probe settings and current temps via text messageing (e-mail) to my cell phone. It will notify me at whatever interval I choose. All this requires is that you have the stoker hooked to your router. At this time, I have it maxed out at 6 probes but that can be changed. You'll also need to know some email setting and your text message address for your phone (8885559999@vtext.com Verizon cell phones) You can set the interval between 2 minutes to 4 hours. I do 45 minutes but my cooker is pretty stable.

I don't have that technical knowledge but would enjoy learning it. My Router is on the other side of the house but on the first floor so I could concievably run a network cable through the basement and over to the patio to hook it up.

One issue is I don't think anyone has successfully run two cookers off of a single stoker yet and I don't have the expertise to write my own software so until the technology is proven and tested or that I may be smarter with the DigiQ II .

While the Stoker has the better warranty it seems like the digiQ people really stand behind thir product and they are more responsive on customer inquirys.

Its nice to have such tough choices between two really good products!!

It seems to be that everyone has the same problem getting any response from Rocks. I have never once received a response from an e-mail inquiry. I read in a blog somewhere that he may be going out of business, but that was just a guess based upon his lack of response. It would be a shame to see that product go down the tubes. I kinda like mine and I've figured out how to work around their software difficulties. I still can't say how it would work with multiple blowers since I have only one.

I just ordered my system from Rock's. I had some questions, and it was a PITA to get a hold of someone by phone. I assumed it was because it was the holidays. When I did get someone they were helpful, and even adjusted my order to save $9 on shipping.

I was also lucky to get a wireless bridge on eBay for $16 delivered! I'll post how everything turns out.

Good luck, whatever your decision!

Back