New 2007 Genesis - Regular vs. Premium

Jason L

TVWBB Member
price will certainly dictate for many, but for a few, and those just generally interested, i thought i would post this thread showing the differences between the premium and regular genesis grills for 2007 - up to you which you prefer - but this information cannot be found on weber's website, so i though you all might be interested.

All are now 507 sq inches of primary cooking area
All are 42,000 BTUs over 3 burners

Genesis - Regular

this website gives some good pictures and descriptions of what the Genesis models look like for 2007
all stainless or coloured lids and bodies.
some will be with 7mm stainless steel rods for cooking, some with PCI cooking grates
some will be with stainless steel flavourizer bars, some with porcelain enameled ones.

Genesis - Premium

here are some pics of the premiums...

Premium copper
Premium Black

also green and blue lids
NG models only available with black lids

all flavourizer bars are stainless steel (standard)
all cooking grates are 9.5mm (3/8 inch) stainless steel rods (standard)

prices depends on retailer somewhat and country... but ...
generally the premiums are only $70 more than the E-300 series and $30 CHEAPER than the S-300 series (which although the S-300s have the stainless lid, they have the smaller (7mm) stainless steel cooking rods)

Cheers!

Note from Moderator: Changed inline photos to links as photos were too large to display properly.

Thanks Jason

If I were a little closer than Florida to Canada, I'd give you my business
icon_smile.gif
!

The new line looks great to me and I hope you do well with it.

Paul

So just to be sure...

If a Genesis S-320 goes for $749 most places, the premium would be about $719, and come with larger 3/8" grates at the cost of a painted (not SS) lid?

Do you have any similar info regarding the Summits?

Thanks

Chris

Originally posted by Chris A:
So just to be sure...

If a Genesis S-320 goes for $749 most places, the premium would be about $719, and come with larger 3/8" grates at the cost of a painted (not SS) lid?

Do you have any similar info regarding the Summits?

Thanks

Chris

yes, here in Canada, the S-320 LP will retail for $999, and the Premium with sideburner will retail for $969 - with the thicker stainless steel rods. you pay more for the stainless lid, but get thinner rods and the premiums are only available at specialty BBQ retailers - not box stores.

as for the summits, they are what they are - there will only be the single line.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Jason L:...

yes, here in Canada, the S-320 LP will retail for $999, and the Premium with sideburner will retail for $969 - with the thicker stainless steel rods. you pay more for the stainless lid, but get thinner rods and the premiums are only available at specialty BBQ retailers - not box ...
If I had the option, I would go with the premium with the heavier SS rod grates rather than the SS lid and thinner rods. The heavier rods will perform a real function in retaining heat and providing a better sear. The SS lid does not, imo, provide any cooking function. If you want both, I guess you go Summit. I think the SS lid is just more trouble to keep looking good.

Paul

I sold a Jenn Aire last year to buy a Summit Platinum C4. From the looks of the new Summit I wonder where they will be manufactured- Outsourced?

I too am wondering when we will see "Made in China" Webers as a rule?

Although that usually bothers me a bit (quality concerns, not economic or political concerns), with the backing of a company like Weber it becomes much less important to me, assuming they continue to offer a generous warranty and accompanying support staff.

I called Weber last night. The rep told me that the new models will continue (I assume for the time being at least) to be made in the U.S. I thought for sure that with the new models costing less than the comparable "old" models that they were going to be manufactured overseas. Anyway from the pictures I saw from the link offered by Jason I was impressed. It may be a situation like the old versus the new Performer. I bought an "old" style at the very end of its production cycle and I'm glad I did. I'll just have to wait to inspect one in person.

what i have been told by my rep is this...

some of the weber models sold in box stores are now being made in China.
premium models and summits are still made in IL, USA

When do the new line of Weber's generally show up in the big box stores?? My family has gotten me like $900.00 in gift cards to Home Depot over the last 3 years and I was looking at putting them towards a 2007 Summit.

It looks like to me the new Summit's are going to come standard with the welded rod grates, and they kicked the BTU's up a bit. Haven't made up my mind yet on the 4 burner or 6 burner model, but I think I am going to pass on the one with the smoker box and rotissirie (got my trusty one touch for those tasks!).

Thanks - Jim

Originally posted by Paul G.:
Thanks Jason

If I were a little closer than Florida to Canada, I'd give you my business
icon_smile.gif
!

The new line looks great to me and I hope you do well with it.

Paul

Jason
If I lived a little closer to Canada than Australia I would come and demonstrate for you.

The new line looks fantastic. Love the fact that they have laser welded SS rods. IMHO there is nothing better than SS rods to use when grilling. If we had them available here in Australia as an option on the Genisis it would be the only type I would sell.

Regards

Will Weber be producing a built in version? Does anyone know if they plan on offering a infared sear zone on their grills? Thanks for the help.

There is a current Weber Summit model that is built to be built in. I saw it at Abt and it looks pretty nice.

Back