Chili recipe using leftover brisket

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Jim Minion on 9/10/2001. Recipe attributed to Ric Gilbert (Muzzy).

-------------------
Here is a chili recipe from a friend:

6 lbs Beef Brisket, course chili grind
4 Tbsp ground Hatch Valley or other hot red chile
2 Tbsp Ground Passilla red chile
1/2 Tbsp Chili caribe (similar to itialian red pepper flakes but with a better flavor, worth the hunt.)
3 Tbsp Dried oregano
5 Tbsp Ground cumin. You may want to use less I love the taste of it in chili
2 Tbsp Masa
1 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
3 Ea Med. size yellow onions chopped coarse
8 Ea 8-10 med. cloves of garlic ( I like garlic)
2 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp Fresh Lime juice
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
48 oz good beer. I like to use a hoppy beer like ales. Try mixing
4 Ea Crushed bay leaves

Secrete ingredients:

2-3 oz Chocolate
1/3 cup Bacon drippings
1 tsp Tony Chaucers (sp?) gumbo

Preparation:

1. This chili can be prepared using either smoked brisket (my preference) or with brisket you cook on the stove. Here are directions for both prep styles. If cooking on the stove cut brisket into 1/2 inch chunks and combine with the onions, green peppers, ground chile, caribe, cayenne pepper, oregano, garlic, bay leaves, gumbo file, cumin, paprika and salt. If cooking with smoked brisket omit the meat at thistime.

2. Heat the bacon drippings in a large heavy pot and add the meat and spice mixture and cook until the meat is evenly browned.

3. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. If you are using smoked brisket add it at this time. Lower the heat and simmer,uncovered for 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings.

4. If using smoked brisket simmer for one hour more. Otherwise this is a chili that benefits from long cooking, the longer the better. I have cooked it up to 8 hours adding more beer and water when needed. Skim off the fat before serving.

Back