Kale and Ricotta Dumpling

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I'm putting this here in appetizers but these could easily be a side dish, first course, or even a main course for a vegetarian friend, provided that cheese and eggs aren't an issue.

They are nice plain, as finger food, simply sprinkled with a little parm, as apps, but can be sauced (either saucing the dumpling or putting them atop sauce).

You'll need a food processor for this recipe.

Kale and Ricotta Dumplings

1 lb kale, leaves cut into 1-inch wide strips*

2.5 cups breadcrumbs **

4 eggs

1 cup ricotta, whole or part skim

.5 cup freshly grated parm (use a fine grater, not a processor) plus more for serving

2 T melted unsalted butter

1.5 t thyme***

.75 t marjoram

.75 t rubbed sage

1.5 t granulated garlic

1.5 t granulated onion

several turns of the black peppermill

salt

Place the kale in a pot large enough to hold it and add about an inch of cold water. Turn the burner on high and bring the water to a boil, covered. Stir once or twice and cook till the kale leaves are tender and the ribs are barely-to-just tender, about 10 min. The water will likely be gone at this point. If not, reduce the heat to med and cook off the excess water, stirring constantly so as not to scorch the kale. You want the kale somewhat dried. Remove to a colander and allow to cool a few minutes.

Meanwhile, beat the 4 eggs with a fork in a small bowl till just combined; reserve.

Put some of the kale in your proceesor and pulse a few times. Add more kale and repeat; repeat again till all is in the processor bowl. Pulse the kale using several 3-second pulses and periodically scraping down the bowl, till the kale is finely minced--check the stems for tenderness; if not small enough to be tender, pulse a few more times. Remove the kale to a large bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs, cheeses, the herbs, the onion and garlic, the black pepper and some salt. Mix very well, breaking up the clumps of kale as you go (they form in the processor) so that all is well combined. Taste for salt and adjust. You'll be adding the eggs momentarily so keep that in mind.

Stir in the melted butter and the eggs and mix till well combined.

Chill the mix, uncovered, in the fridge for a couple hours. (Can go longer if desired. Cover with plastic after 2 hours.)

Heat your oven to 350 and make sure you have a rack in the center. Line a large sheetpan with parchment.

Using two oval-bowled soup spoons (as opposed to the round-bowl ones) make the dumplings by molding them into the proper shape, pressing lightly but firmly to make them solid. They should be the size of smallish eggs. You should have 24-30, depending on size.

[At this point, if desired, you can take some or all of the dumplngs and place on another parchment-lined pan or plate and freeze. Remove to a Zip-loc or another container when frozen. Do not thaw before cooking.]

Bake the dumplings till the bottoms are light to medium brown and they are cooked through, about 15 min give or take a few depending on dumpling size and your oven.

Serve as is, as is dusted with additional parm, or sauced.

* I used bagged, pre-washed already-cut kale from Dole. It comes in 1-lb bags. If buying loose, break off the thicker stems at the base of the leaves while at the store, weigh the kale, and buy 1 lb--or a bit more if it looks like some leaves are going to need to be discarded.

** Make your own as store bought are too fine and too dry. I used an artisan Italian bread, about 6 slices. A similar quantity of a nicely textured white artisan or bakery bread (like a 'country' white) would be fine--not the squishy white stuff from the bread aisle. Leave the crusts on. Use 7 slices if unsure. Put directly on an oven rack (no pan) in a 200 or so oven and allow to dry 10-15 min. You're not looking for toast in terms of color. When the bread surfaces are quite dry but the middle of the slices are still a bit soft you're good to go.

Tear the bread into small pieces and put into a food processor. Pulse the processor to make the crumbs. You're looking for fairly evenly sized small crumbs but not dust--maybe from the size of a rice grain up to the size of a baby pea. Measure out 2.5 cups.

*** all herbs are dried

Kevin,

Thanks for the recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out. I had no idea you baked them...I thought for sure (from the shape) that you had wrapped them in saran wrap and boiled or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
If buying loose, break off the thicker stems at the base of the leaves while at the store, weigh the kale, and buy 1 lb--or a bit more if it looks like some leaves are going to need to be discarded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless your friendly produce employee has already spent his time trimming them, rehydrating them, and removing yellowish and unsightly leaves...all the while giving himself carpal tunnel in the process because he did 100 bunches of the damn stuff at 5 am.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
* I used bagged, pre-washed already-cut kale from Dole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HISS! BOOO!

Well, I live in Florida. Our ripe corn season is many weeks old and ripe tomatoes are plentiful now. We're long past kale. Bagged is all that's available.

They do do produce prep at WF, et al.; not Okeechobee Publix.

Yes, baked. Years ago I did them boiled (no wrap, flour instead of breadcrumbs) but developed these as baked because I think people find them more accessible, the flavors are better, imo, and the finish is lighter.

See what you think.

Well, I went out on Sat looking for Kale and a free range chicken. No free range chickens to be had, for Roadside chicken and the Kale I found was quite wilted.
icon_frown.gif
Oh well I look some more. Thanks for posting this Kevin, dying to try it.
icon_smile.gif

Back