Eye of Round

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
We were hosting a post-holiday, holiday party for some relatives that had been out of town. The goal was: simple and easy.

Early in the day I fired up the sv tank to 130*. The EOR were seasoned and browned. Pre-browning is suppose to facilitate browning later, and it also pasteurizes the surface (surface bacteria can multiple in the warm bath creating sour flavors). I'm debating the merits of pre-browning, but its easy and doesn't seem to have any drawbacks.

IMG_3985.JPG

While the EOR were in the tank it allowed me to work with the fire. I got the grill started with charcoal but was adding sticks of cherry for the last hour or so before searing. When it was go time, there was a nice bed of cherry coals to sear the EOR over.

The meat was seasoned again with a paste of salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, and evoo. The meat is moist when it comes out of the bag (even after toweling it off, so it helps to use the oil to get the seasoning to stick. Even still, I lost a lot of the paste to the grate.

IMG_3987.JPG

The finished roasts were insanely juicy. I sliced the first one without much of a rest and it gave off a ton of liquid. I didn't slice into the second one until people were ready for a second helping, and that one was even juicier, soaking the towel I had under the cutting board!

IMG_3998.JPG

Before the holidays, I bought a large piece of horseradish root. I've been slowly grating it down, getting a lot of mileage out of it over some recent dinners. I've been sort of following Alton's horseradish cream sauce recipe. I use way more horseradish and up the mustard and vinegar as well. I love it, there's no comparison to fresh horseradish.

IMG_4003.JPG

Keep in mind that I'm still feeling out sv. I went the sv route here because of my success with a xmas day rib roast. So what were the advantages?

1)the meat was perfectly cooked
2)I could focus on creating a nice searing fire
3)I controlled when the roasts were done. they can't over cook in the tank, so I take them out 30 min before service and finish them off

disadvantages?

1)you spent a couple extra bucks on bags
2)the crust is relatively thin
3)rubbing the meat down was a bit messy since it occurred after a few beers deep into the party

Good stuff Jeff. I really appreciate you sharing your SV/grilling experience with us too. Fresh horseradish... can't be bad!

Thanks guys!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Good stuff Jeff. I really appreciate you sharing your SV/grilling experience with us too. Fresh horseradish... can't be bad! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. After the the sv rib roast, it seemed like there were a few of us out there that are considering making the jump into sv. I figured I'd try to be a little more detailed about the process and outcome, so others can decide for themselves if sv makes sense for them.

Right now, sv is a pretty cool party trick.

Jeff -

That beef looks A-MAZ-ING!
(Cooked to near perfection in my book.)

What's the "SV" again? Sounds like some sort of immersion cooker

What is it about horseradish, that it seems to go so well with roast beef?

I'm picturing some really tasty roast beef sammies on some good, crusty bread...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What's the "SV" again? Sounds like some sort of immersion cooker

I'm picturing some really tasty roast beef sammies on some good, crusty bread... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sv = sous vide, which is a French term that means "under vacuum." it refers to the vacuum bagging that is often used and is really the irrelevant part of the equation. The precisely controlled, low temp water bath, is what makes it so effective.

I like to use big ziploc bags that allow me to keep the open end out of the bath and permit a probe to be inserted without fear of a leak.

Sandwiches were the original idea, but most ate the beef without a roll. I saved a bunch of slices and we're going to make sandwiches later this week.

Love your SV posts. How long were the roasts in the bath? In the photo showing the roasts in the bag they appear not to be totally submerged. Is that optical illusion?

Awesome looking roasts. You continue to tempt me to put a rig together....

Very Nice J! All your SV post are really putting me over the edge to get into sous vide cooking. I really like the tempeture you get from edge to edge with SV. your look great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How long were the roasts in the bath? In the photo showing the roasts in the bag they appear not to be totally submerged. Is that optical illusion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they were in for roughly 2.5 hour. they didn't make it all the way to 130*, which was probably a good thing as the finish was a tad higher than I would have liked. Its all a learning process for time and temp.

The bags were submerged, however roasts like this kind of push my depth (especially with the false bottom), and they dont sink well* (I've read to throw stainless butter knives in the bag to weight it down). I typically turn the bags every 30 min or so.

*even with sealed bags, gases build up causing them to float. its one of the reasons why I use open top bags, as they help to vent off steam.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">*even with sealed bags, gases build up causing them to float. its one of the reasons why I use open top bags, as they help to vent off steam. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah but... It's supposed to under vacuum....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah but... It's supposed to under vacuum.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do French American fusion sous vide

ever read any discussion of the title of Keller's book "Under Pressure"?

Everyone seemed really confused and the leading hypothesis was that Keller was making a joke about the "under vacuum" label

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sorry, butt i still perfer WSM to SV. Roll Eyes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there's pros and cons to both methods. And there's things that can be done on a wsm that can't be done sv and the opposite. I've never fully endorsed sv and am totally open about its short comings. I can understand the pride that comes from live fire cooking, and its something I take very seriously.

I got into sv for other reasons, but I'm currently exploring all uses for it. You'll be happy to know that I'll probably never post another sv/grilling post again for two reasons: I don't like using it for smaller cuts like steaks (I prefer to do them my traditional way), and its unlikely that I'll be doing another large roast for some time. Also, after three parties, everyone on both sides of my family have experienced a sv roast or steak. I rarely do the same thing twice, so unless someone specifically requests it, the tank will be used for other tasks.

Didn't mean to bore you Jim. The great thing about the forum is that there's all kinds of thread to keep everyone interested
icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff, please believe me that your posts on SV do not "bore me"... absolutely not.
You're into this and that's Great! New ideas are the power that spins wheels.
Without different ways of preparing food, life would be too boring.
Why did God make rachael ray or allow 'The Food Channel' to exist?
Perhaps my way of thinking is why i love pork steaks and bratwurst to an evil degree.

No. You do not bore me Jeff. Not at all.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How long were the roasts in the bath? In the photo showing the roasts in the bag they appear not to be totally submerged. Is that optical illusion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they were in for roughly 2.5 hour. they didn't make it all the way to 130*, which was probably a good thing as the finish was a tad higher than I would have liked. Its all a learning process for time and temp.

The bags were submerged, however roasts like this kind of push my depth (especially with the false bottom), and they don't sink well* (I've read to throw stainless butter knives in the bag to weight it down). I typically turn the bags every 30 min or so.

*even with sealed bags, gases build up causing them to float. its one of the reasons why I use open top bags, as they help to vent off steam. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, now I get it. Makes sense. I see the same issue in another area. I often take vac sealed product and reheat in water to slow the warm up and not over shoot the original finish temp. I've noticed the tendency to float on vac sealed items and use external weights as required to keep them under if you will.

I see the value of your solution in this regard. I.E. - being able to temp the product as well as control "float". Nice solution.

You've got a lot to offer and have in your SV posts. I don't think SV eliminates WSM at all. Kind of like apples/oranges.

I like the system you've built in the flexibility it provides for various trouble shooting and modification of technique/style. A thinkers system if you will. I would love to find a way that we can provide a forum on this site where we can capture your experiences in a better way.

I know the bath that you bought, but did you ever post a part out of the controller and other ancillary equipment that makes up your system? I really like the size and flexibility it seems to offer. Have been thinking if eaiter staring with messing with stove top, but may just go ahead and put a sytems together. I like what it offers for steaks and roasts. I also like the application where say I will need to make 12 steaks or so. I could SV way ahead of time, hold, and finish on the grill quickly to serve or so it seems.

Thanks for your posts on this method and sharing your experiences.

Wondering if there is room on this site for a separate forum for SV. Same as we did with charcuterie, it's not specific at all to WSM, it's a technique. SV is a technique that can follow with finish on a WSM or Kettle IMHO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why did God make rachael ray or allow 'The Food Channel' to exist? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so now you are comparing me to RR?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know the bath that you bought, but did you ever post a part out of the controller and other ancillary equipment that makes up your system? I really like the size and flexibility it seems to offer. Have been thinking if eaiter staring with messing with stove top, but may just go ahead and put a sytems together. I like what it offers for steaks and roasts. I also like the application where say I will need to make 12 steaks or so. I could SV way ahead of time, hold, and finish on the grill quickly to serve or so it seems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here's the unit I use:
Auber Instruments deluxe controller

I was looking for a thread where a couple users of the Auber chime in with their findings (there's a small secret group of us here that mainly communicated via email, I'm the only one out of the closet). Anyways, a Mr r benash was fairly active in the discussion then, and it seems like you've been considering sv for quite some time now:

Vhttp://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a...116/m/5071058506/p/1

SV is pretty cool when cooking for guests. Its a neat party trick. Our guests have high expectations for us, and its hard to impress anybody any more. But these 3 sv cooks I did over the holidays, got us more compliments and interest in the technique than I've seen in a long time. People respond to it because its almost unreal how the meat comes out, and they are intrigued by the results.

there's plenty of ways to play with sv without making the jump to full on equipment. one way is "ghetto sv" where you heat up a bunch of water to the desired temp, then dump it into cooler filled with bagged steaks.

Back