"State championship"

Dave from Denver

TVWBB Wizard
So I searched this forum and didn't see anything that seemed to answered my question.

It seems like nearly every BBQ competition is called the "State championship" in official KCBS listings.

For example: There's 3 KCBS-sanctioned comps in Colorado this summer (info from kcbs.us):
06/17/11
to
06/18/11 Colorado Barbecue Challenge Frisco, CO
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

07/01/11
to
07/02/11 Rocky Mountain Freedom Festival Castle Rock, CO
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

08/12/11
to
08/13/11 Krystal 93 BBQ at the Summit Dillon, CO
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

How can all three of these KCBS-sanctioned events be the state championship? I'm confused. Any input appreciated.

Dave, sorry didn't see a question. My understanding here in Calif is that if a promoter requests in writing that the governor degree an event a state championship, then the gov signs a letter declaring such. Gov Brown recently declared that all BBQ comps in the state could be considered state champ. In reality it probably doesn't mean much to the loosing teams and maybe not much to the winners either. Not sure if the Jack or the The Royal care either for qualifying teams.

The state championship designation qualifies the winner of the competition to get a "bung" in the draw for the Jack... From the Jack Daniels BBQ Competition site:

"To compete at “The Jack,” domestic teams must win a state championship with at least 25 teams or a competition of 50 teams, or win one of the premiere barbecue competitions that qualify a team for an automatic berth."

The Memphis in May GC and the American Royal Invitational GC, I believe, get an automatic berth - there may be more.

If a contest is a State Championship designated contest, it may draw a bigger field since the winner gets in the draw for the Jack.

Pat

I think the idea to call more than one competition in the same state a state championship is ridiculous. But, I understand why the terminology is required (Jack). I would rather it be called a state-sanctioned contest or something, with one competition per year per state given elite Championship status.

Back