Twin Cities BBQ accessories?

Scott Helland

TVWBB Member
To anyone out there in the Twin Cities, where do you find your accessories and BBQ goods? I realize that Home Depot, Ace, etc have some stuff, but there has to be someplace with a bigger selection. Gertens has a decent selection, but it's unfortunately not very close to where I'm at. Someone had told me about a place in White Bear, but we drove up there last weekend and couldn't find it - appears it closed.

Any suggestions out there? SW metro would be preferred, but I'll drive if it's worth it...

I'll try. I actually live within two miles of Gerten's, so I've never really had to look around.

*Most "hearth and home" type fireplace stores sell nicer grills and accessories, find one close to you and give them a call.
*Warner Stellen sells Weber grills, but I can't remember if they have accessories too.
*Fleet Farm actually has a decent amount of BBQ goods, and I think they might be clearing them out for the Christmas toy section soon, so there could be some sales.

Hope this helps a little.

I, too, am having trouble finding good accessories at any one or two stores.

Where do you find the best deals on charcoal - lump or briquettes?

Does anyone carry the WSM? Or, are they only mail order?

Merrill

I got my WSM at Gertens in Inver Grove Heights. They have an OK selection, although I'd like more.
icon_smile.gif
And it's definitely not convenient for me West of Chaska.

Both Sam's and Costco carry 2 bags of 21.6 lb Kingsford for $13.xx.

Last weekend I noticed Sportsman's Warehouse started carrying Weber, and even had some WSM's on the shelf for $279. Most ACE, Home Depot, etc stores (even Target!) can special order a WSM for about $250. I'd use Chris's Amazon link at $199.

Menards carries Royal Oak, both lump and briq. It's usually $5-6 a bag.

I saw 2 WSMs at Ace Hardware in Maple Grove for $250 each. They also have a couple kettles and gassers.

18# bags of Royal Oak Briquettes are on sale at Menards for under $4. The 8# bags of lump sell for under $5.

Amazon is down to $196.64, which includes shipping. I wish someone in town would just do a blowout sale at the season's end for under $200. I'ld go get one locally.

Merrill

There is a swimming pool store at around 85 or 90th and Central that has Wicked Good Lump.

Also a real nice spa store off Hwy 97, just north of the 35e/w merge that has a decent supply of BBQ stuff and spices

Other than a customer of each I have no tie to them, and can't remember names I am from Duluth and just drive to the store if that makes sense.

I got my WSM at Ace Hardware several years ago. I showed them Amazon's price and they matched it.

Why not just order your BBQ accessories over the Internet? There are lots of good sites out there with anything you could possibly want and it will probably cost less that buying from a retail store.

On a final note, I get my charcoal at Menards too. And I have found that Paul's Firewood in Little Falls, MN is excellent! They have all types of wood for BBQ at good prices. And their wood chunks are just that -- chunks! Check them out if you haven't already. Does anyone else get their wood from them?

http://firewood.com/index.cfm/pageid/36

Paul

I got my WSM at Ace Hardware several years ago. I showed them Amazon's price and they matched it.

Why not just order your BBQ accessories over the Internet? There are lots of good sites out there with anything you could possibly want and it will probably cost less that buying from a retail store.

On a final note, I get my charcoal at Menards too. And I have found that Paul's Firewood in Little Falls, MN is excellent! They have all types of wood for BBQ at good prices. And their wood chunks are just that -- chunks! Check them out if you haven't already. Does anyone else get their wood from them?

http://firewood.com/index.cfm/pageid/36

Paul

Smoking is just like other hobbies... The more time you spend at it, the better you perform.

Since last Fall, I have found that Kingsford Blue outperforms Royal Oak. I stocked up on the Memorial Day sale at Menards and Lowe's. The WSM's run so efficient, I still have 4 or so 45# double bags left.

Last Spring, I called a local apple orchard looking for wood. I bought 120 lbs of seasoned 2-3" diameter logs for $40. I cut up 20 lbs or so for my smokes. I have enough to last me for quite a while.

For other wood, I found The Charcoal Store in Shakopee to be an excellent source. The people are very knowledgeable and easy to work with. Their selection is unbeatable!

My 3-probe NuTemp is the only real accessory that I have. A good pair of heat-resistant silicone gloves, stainless steel pans, aprons, etc. can be found at Target and Sam's Club. Although I have bought and tried a variety of rubs, I find that tweaking online recipes is more satisfying. It only sucks when you try to replicate a recipe when you didn't write it down.

Mark

Back