Corn Salsa or Salad

Bill Harvey

TVWBB Super Fan
I smoked a brisket Thursday night (actually Friday morning) and was very pleased with its outcome. I invited two couples over for dinner Friday evening and they volunteered to bring a covered dish to complement the barbecue beef. I was delighted they were bringing side dishes and was looking forward to their input. However I never expected the delightful, easy to prepare salsa (or maybe salad) that one of my guest brought. It was wonderful (almost stole the show.. LOL) every body carried on how good the barbecue beef was, but also commented on the great corn salsa and how it was perfect with the barbecue. It was a great side dish and I though I would share it with you. I highly recommend you try it. This dish would be great with any smoked meat, it's easy to prepare, and I promise will be enjoyed by your family or guest.

Corn Salsa or Salad...

1 can of yellow corn (whole kernels)
1 can of white corn (whole kernels)
1/2 cup of diced red onions
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup of diced tomatoes (remove the seed)
Mayonnaise
Salt
Black pepper

Drain the water from the corn and combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cover and refrigerate, serve cool.

Try it and let me know what you think.. It was a hit at my Fish camp... I will definitely serve it again.
icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!!!

bugg
icon_smile.gif

Note from Moderator: This is an old post that lost the fractional measures when converted to a new bulletin board software platform in 2004. I believe the fractions are 1/2 cup, but if you have information to the contrary, please let me know and I will update.

Bill,

I made your salad last night and it was great, thanks! We had some awesome white and yellow local corn that I just cooked briefly and cut off the cob instead of using canned.
Jefft,
If this helps I used about 1/2 - 3/4 cup mayo on the salad I made, I am basing this on 13 ears of corn which gave me a little more than what the recipe called for. I used just enough to give it a nice coating without drowning it. Hope this helps.

Bill, I tried the corn salsa last weekend and it was a great success with everyone. Thanks for sharing it.
Lane

Bill,

When I view the quantities of the recipe special characters show up where some of the fractions of cups should be.

Please post the quantities for the onion, pepper, and tomato.

Many Thanks,

John

Since the thread is nearly 6 years old, and the participants no longer/rarely post here any more, it's going to be tough to figure out. www.archive.org has the site indexed, but only to the point of the title of the thread in 2007. Maybe someone has previously printed out the recipe and can provide the answer, or Chris might have a back-up that can be searched. If I were to hazard a guess, I would try a half cup of each.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
If I were to hazard a guess, I would try a half cup of each. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, that would be my guess/starting point as well. You can tweak it from there.
icon_wink.gif

Here's one I made this past weekend that was pretty good:

Roasted Corn, Black Bean & Mango Salad

Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Serve at room temperature.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups corn kernels (from 3 ears)
1 large ripe mango (about 1 pound), peeled and diced
1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 small canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the corn mixture to a large bowl. Stir in mango, beans, onion, bell pepper, lime juice, chipotle, cilantro, cumin and salt.

Back