New OTS owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,
I'm new to this site as well as a new 22.5" OTS owner. This is my first Weber grill but probably not the last. I've cooked exclusively on gas for the last eight years and decided I would like to try doing charcoal grilling again.

I did a lot of research on the web and decided to go with the OTS for the reputation and price. I really wanted the OTG but the Lowe's I went to didn't have one so I got the silver instead. Since then, I have found the Gold at some other local stores. Oh well, I'll get it next time.

I have already ordered or bought quite a few accessories for the grill. Locally I bought the rapidfire chimney at Home Depot, the standard grill cover and small drip pans at Lowe's and the lighter cubes at Ace hardware. I ordered a rapidfire chimney, charcoal rails, and three sided grill brush from Amazon before I found them locally. I guess I'll have two chimney starters. I also ordered the SS hinged 22.5" grate and two boxes of lighter cubes from Weber. I also ordered a couple of the Weber grilling books off of Ebay. I think I'm off to a good start. Any other "must have" accessaries that you would suggest?

I have to put in a good plug for Weber's customer service. My bowl was damaged in shipping. One of the leg holders looked like it had hit something and dented the bowl in at that area and chipped portions of the porcelain coating off inside and out. Weber is sending me a new bowl and they told me to keep the old one. Thats great customer service.

I also did some damage of my own already to the lid. I set it on the deck railing and accidently knocked it off. The lid fell about five feet onto the grass. Now the lid is slightly out of round. I've straightened it out pretty good but its slightly off.

I grilled on the grill for the first time last night. Just made hamburgers and hot dogs but they turned out good.

I've already learned a lot of info from this site and I'm sure I will learn more. Take care.

Wayne

Wayne - welcome to Weber Nation. The flagship of my fleet was a 22.5" OTS when it rolled out of the factory, so I have several recommendations re: accessories.

My first and most important recommendation, however, is one you have not sought (at least not overtly), but one I nevertheless feel compelled to offer. Wayne, I do not overstate the case when I say that no accessory you can buy, barter, build or steal will ever really matter if you do not address your most critical issue:

Get your lid back into round. If you cannot do so, get another lid -- either through Weber CS, or Craig's List, or garage sales, or whatever it takes. The primary virtue (indeed, the elegant genius) of the kettle design is that it allows for indirect cooking with ease and consistency. You need those convection air currents staying inside your kettle, and for that, you need a lid with a good fit. "Slightly off" is too far off.

I will say it again: Get your lid back into round. If you cannot do so, get another lid.

Now, on to accessories:

- Weber Slide-aside. This is a terrific add-on. Reasonably priced, easy to install/remove, and does exactly what it is supposed to do, well. Given the mishap that prompted my recommendation number 1, above, the utility of this accessory should be apparent.

- OTG ash-catcher assembly, including ring, pan and handle. You will need to order these parts from Weber CS. I understand that Weber tells people that a OTS cannot successfully be retro-fitted with the OTG ash-catcher assembly. All I know is what I see, and my kettle took the retro-fit just fine.

- Weber work-table: very handy

- Remote thermometer(s)

- Kettle Rotisserie - I have the Weber 9980; I note that a lot of folks on this board seem to like something called an EZ-Que.

At last, my final recommendation: Get your lid back into round. If you cannot do so, get another lid.

Congrats on your new grill. The Weber kettle is the most versatile grill available today.

Kevin's comments were spot on.

The EZ Que rotisserie is absolutely the best rotisserie on the market today. Although pricy, it is well worth the money. I can't imagine ever needing to replace this unit.

Also, until you're ready to make the leap to a WSM, the Smokenator will serve you well as an accessory to your kettle. I just got one and I love it.

Enjoy your new hobby and keep us posted as to your successes...

The Smokenator looks really cool. If you don't want to fork out the fifty bucks, check out the fire brick threads. I'm trying it out (even though I have a WSM already) myself this weekend.

Guys,
Thanks for the replies and the info. Kevin,
I took your advice and called Weber's CS and explained to the woman what I had did. They are sending me out a new lid. Talk about great CS. I think Weber has the best CS I have ever experienced.

I will look into the other accessaries you guys suggested. I bought the poultry roaster, rib rack, roast holder, and SS vegtable basket today after work so I'm going to hold off on any new purchases for a little while.

The CS lady suggested I get the slide away grill holder so I don't damage my lid again so that might be my next purchase

Wayne

Wayne, I am glad (but not at all surprised) to hear that Weber CS came through for you once again. They are the best, by far.

Now you can start stockpiling different kinds of charcoal (this is how it begins). Soon your kettle will have siblings. If you are married, you may want to warn your wife now . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back