Macaroni & Cheese recipes

Kevin S.

TVWBB Super Fan
I made some Mac & Cheese the other day, and was really disappointed. No, it wasn't a Kraft box mix, but I think the box stuff would have been better. I've tried a Velveeta recipe, but once it drops even a couple of degrees it sets up like glue. Using real cheddar yields a grainy, anything-but-smooth texture that doesn't solidify too quickly, but is generally lacking in mouth feel. I know there's no escaping the fact that the dish will "set" as it cools, but it would be nice if it would at least stay creamy on the plate. I'm not afraid of using alternate cheeses, if that's what it takes. How could something so easy be so tough to get right?

What's the secret to smooth, creamy, Mac & Cheese?

I think you'll find that either a significant egg content or a bechamel-type base will help change the texture of the cheddar version. This one is just a basic old homemade mac-n-cheese that's good hot, but I like to cut a square of it when it's cold and munch on it like that. This is our continued favorite, though I confess that I do give it a few shots of Louisiana Gold Hot Sauce before baking it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Michael's dad's macaroni and cheese

Recipe By :Michael Weil's father
Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 oz uncooked macaroni
2 tsp butter
2 eggs -- beaten
1 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese -- (3/4 lb)

Boil macaroni in salted water till tender; drain thoroughly. Stir in butter and eggs. Mix mustard and salt with milk; set aside. Add 2 1/2 cups cheese to macaroni, reserving 1 1/2 cups to sprinkle on top. Pour macaroni into greased casserole; add milk; sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until top is crusty.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You might also try this - Cooks Illustrated's Version, published May 2004. I always have good luck with their recipes. It'll be creamier than Michael's Dad's version, due to the bechamel base.

Family-Style Macaroni and Cheese Written May 2004

Neither dull nor excessively rich, macaroni and cheese should please a multitude of palates. Could we find a simple way to make this dish appealing to adults and kids alike?

The Problem: Sure, the kids would be fine with the contents of the blue box brand, but for us this ready-mix mac and cheese lost its appeal soon after we learned how to boil water. Conversely, decadent recipes replete with cream, eggs, and a who's-who list of pungent cheeses are decidedly adults-only; just try to serve them to the kids and you'll get upturned noses and pushed-back plates.

The Goal: Simple, satisfying macaroni and cheese, as appealing to adults as it is to children.

The Solution: Cook the pasta until just past al dente and then combine with a béchamel-based cheese sauce (classically known as Mornay sauce). Use a combination of sharp cheddar for flavor and Monterey Jack for creaminess. For a crunchy topping, toss homemade bread crumbs with melted butter, sprinkle over the casserole, and brown quickly under the broiler.

Classic Macaroni and Cheese

It's crucial to cook the pasta until tender--just past the "al dente" stage. In fact, overcooking is better than undercooking the pasta. Whole, low-fat, and skim milk all work well in this recipe. The recipe can be halved and baked in an 8-inch-square, broilersafe baking dish. If desired, offer celery salt or hot sauce (such as Tabasco) for sprinkling at the table.

Serves 6 to 8, or 10 to 12 as a side

--Bread Crumb Topping
6 slices white sandwich bread (good-quality, about 6 ounces), torn into rough pieces
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold), cut into 6 pieces
--Pasta and Cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon table salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
5 cups milk (see note)
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese , shredded (2 cups)
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , shredded (2 cups)
1 teaspoon table salt

For the bread crumbs: Pulse bread and butter in food processor until crumbs are no larger than 1/8 inch, ten to fifteen 1-second pulses. Set aside.

For the pasta and cheese: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat. Add macaroni and 1 tablespoon salt; cook until pasta is tender. Drain pasta and set aside in colander.

In now-empty Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour, mustard, and cayenne (if using) and whisk well to combine. Continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to boil, whisking constantly (mixture must reach full boil to fully thicken). Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes. Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1 teaspoon salt until cheeses are fully melted. Add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 6 minutes.

Transfer mixture to broiler-safe 9-by 13-inch baking dish and sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs. Broil until crumbs are deep golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes, rotating pan if necessary for even browning. Cool about 5 minutes, then serve.

Here are a few more from Cook's Illustrated, a little more upscale:

Rita

BAKED FOUR-CHEESE AND PASTA CASSEROLE
Tired of greasy, heavy pasta casseroles with stringy cheese and mushy noodles?
We set out to make a creamy casserole with great flavor, properly cooked pasta, and a crisp bread crumb topping.

Creamy Baked Four-Cheese Pasta
Baked Four-Cheese Pasta with Tomatoes and Basil
Baked Four-Cheese Pasta with Prosciutto and Peas

Problem: Pasta ai quattro formaggi, the classic Italian pasta dish made with four cheeses and heavy cream, often turns into an in-edible mess.
Goal: Deliver a pasta dinner that is silky smooth and rich but not heavy—a grown-up, sophisticated version of macaroni and cheese with Italian flavors.
Solution: Use a mix of Italian Fontina, Gorgonzola, Pecorino Romano, and Parmesan—tasters' favorite combination of cheeses—for the best flavor and texture. Drain the pasta several minutes before it is al dente to keep it from turning to mush when baked. Com-bine the cheeses with the pasta and a béchamel sauce (a classic white sauce), top with bread crumbs and Parmesan, and bake just seven minutes at 500 degrees.

CREAMY BAKED FOUR-CHEESE PASTA

Makes 4–6 main-course servings or 6–8 side-dish servings.

BREAD CRUMB TOPPING
3-4 slices white sandwich bread with crusts, torn into quarters
1/4 cup (1/2 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

PASTA AND CHEESE
4 ounces Italian Fontina cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
3 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup (1 ounce) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1/4 cup (1/2 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound penne
1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (a forum poster says it’s fine made with whole milk)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. FOR THE TOPPING: Pulse bread in food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about ten 1-second pulses (you should have about 1 1/2 cups). Transfer to small bowl; stir in Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Set mixture aside.

2. FOR THE PASTA: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.
BRING 4 QUARTS WATER to rolling boil in stockpot.

3. COMBINE CHEESES in large bowl; set aside.

4. ADD PASTA and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water; stir to separate pasta.

5. WHILE PASTA IS COOKING, melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat.
WHISK FLOUR into butter until no lumps remain, about 30 seconds.
GRADUALLY WHISK IN CREAM, increase heat to medium, and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
REDUCE HEAT to medium-low and simmer 1 minute to ensure that flour cooks.
STIR IN REMAINING 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
COVER CREAM MIXTURE to keep hot and set aside.

6. WHEN PASTA IS VERY AL DENTE (when bitten into, pasta should be opaque and slightly underdone at very center), drain for about 5 seconds, leaving pasta slightly wet.
ADD PASTA TO BOWL WITH CHEESES. Immediately pour cream mixture over, then cover bowl with foil or large plate and let stand 3 minutes.
UNCOVER BOWL AND STIR with rubber spatula, scraping bottom of bowl, until cheeses are melted and mixture is thoroughly com-bined.

7. TRANSFER PASTA to 13 by 9-inch baking dish, then sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumbs, pressing down lightly.

8. BAKE UNTIL topping is golden brown, about 7 minutes. Serve immediately.

Source: Cook’s Illustrated, January 2003.

BAKED FOUR-CHEESE PASTA WITH TOMATOES AND BASIL

BREAD CRUMB TOPPING
3 - 4 slices white sandwich bread with crusts, torn into quarters
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 ounce)
1/4 teaspoon table salt

PASTA AND CHEESE
4 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
3 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (1 ounce)
1 pound penne
1 tablespoon table salt
2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves

1. FOR THE TOPPING: Pulse bread in food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about ten 1-second pulses (you should have about 1 1/2 cups). Transfer to small bowl; stir in Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Set mixture aside.

2. FOR THE PASTA: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.

GRADUALLY WHISK IN CREAM, add tomatoes, increase heat to medium, and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
STIR IN REMAINING 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.

6. WHEN PASTA IS VERY AL DENTE (when bitten into, pasta should be opaque and slightly underdone at very center), drain for about 5 seconds, leaving pasta slightly wet.
ADD PASTA TO BOWL WITH CHEESES. Immediately pour cream mixture over, then cover bowl with foil or large plate and let stand 3 minutes.
UNCOVER BOWL AND STIR with rubber spatula, scraping bottom of bowl, until cheeses are melted and mixture is thoroughly com-bined.
STIR IN 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil.

7. TRANSFER PASTA to 13 by 9-inch baking dish, then sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumbs, pressing down lightly.

BAKED FOUR-CHEESE PASTA WITH PROSCIUTTO AND PEAS

BREAD CRUMB TOPPING
3 - 4 slices white sandwich bread with crusts, torn into quarters
1/4 teaspoon table salt

PASTA AND CHEESE
4 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
3 ounces Gorgonzola cheese crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (1 ounce)
1 tablespoon table salt
1 pound penne
2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
4 ounces prosciutto, chopped
1 cup frozen peas

GRADUALLY WHISK IN CREAM, increase heat to medium, and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
STIR IN pepper.

ADD PASTA TO BOWL WITH CHEESES. Immediately pour cream mixture over, adding the prosciutto and frozen peas, then cover bowl with foil or large plate and let stand 3 minutes.

I prefer CI's version from circa 1995. Keri's right about the eggs. Another help is to use evaporated milk as in the recipe below.

I always double the recipe for the mac & cheese but do not double the breadcrumbs. I prefer to toast breadcrumbs in a dry pan on top of the stove over medium heat, stirring frequently. When toasted, I drizzle on 1-2 tablespoons of evoo, and mash it in with a fork (as if you were mashing cooked egg yolks with mayo), then toast further till deeply browned; remove the crumbs to a plate to cool immediately, spreading them out, or they will burn.

You can sub Dijon or cheap yellow for the mustard powder-water mix if needed.

I use a mix of cheeses, usually 1/3 pepper Jack, 1/3 Vermont sharp cheddar, and for color, 1/3 Tillamook (or another yellow) sharp cheddar.

When just done the mix will be very creamy and a bit soupy. Remove it from the heat, covered, and let it set up. The excess moisture will absorb into the pasta rendering it very creamy but not soupy. You can serve as is, topped with some breadcrumbs. Alternatively, you can pour the mix into a baking pan, top with the breadcrumbs and bake/reheat it at 250 for 10-15 min or a 200 oven for a bit longer. It will set up some more, get a bit drier, but will still be tasty and just a bit creamy.

I often take a hunk of the chilled leftovers the next morning, steam them with a T or two of water and a T or two of evoo/butter mix in a covered saute pan for a few minutes to get the pasta and cheese soft again, then remove the cover and pour in eggs to scramble with the pasta. A minced chipotle is a nice addition: great breakfast.

Stovetop Mac and Cheese

Toasted Bread Crumbs

1 cup fresh breadcrumbs

pinch table salt

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

2 large eggs

1 can evaporated milk (12 ounces)

1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

2 teaspoons table salt

1 teaspoon dry mustard dissolved in 1
teaspoon water

1/2 pound elbow macaroni

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese or American, or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 3 cups)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix bread crumb ingredients together in small baking pan. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes; set aside.

2. Meanwhile, mix eggs, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, pepper sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, pepper, and mustard mixture in small bowl; set aside.

3. Meanwhile, heat 2 quarts water to boil in large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and macaroni; cook until almost tender, but still a little firm to the bite. Drain and return to pan over low heat. Add butter; toss to melt.

4. Pour egg mixture over buttered noodles along with three-quarters of the cheese; stir until thoroughly combined and cheese starts to melt. Gradually add remaining milk and cheese, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately topped with toasted bread crumbs.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick comeback.

Eggs. Why didn't I think of that? Think custard. Duh.

And Rita, I love the "Grown-up" Mac & Cheese recipes. Fontina? Gorganzola? Count me in! As I type this, The Boss is looking over my shoulder. She wants the Four Cheese with Tomato and Basil. Sounds good to me...

Thanks again

Originally posted by K Kruger:
and for color, 1/3 Tillamook sharp cheddar.
KK, Where would one search for said cheese? I found it online but...... We have a new Wegman's opening up closer than the one I normally go to, and want to check out the new store. They have a huge cheese section, wondering if they might have the Tillamook cheese?
Also if I'd want to adapt this to the WSM/oven, bump up the liquid a little and all should be swell? Thanks Bud.
icon_wink.gif

I've often wondered if the bread crumbs on mac and cheese (baked) is a regional thing. No one in my family uses them and whenever we have pot luck dinners (church or work) I've never seen any used.

As for my Mom's recipe. I know she uses 1 egg and milk before she bakes. Lots of extra sharp cheddar. It's not supposed to be creamy but it sure is good.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
1/3 Tillamook sharp cheddar.

I was perusing for Mac n' cheese recipes and thought I'd respond...Bryan, Tillamook is a creamery in Oregon and is wayyyy worth it (unless you have access to another great cheesemaker). I'm sure TJs would carry it. Try the "black label" cheddar...pricey, but so worth it!

Originally posted by Phil R.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
1/3 Tillamook sharp cheddar.

I was perusing for Mac n' cheese recipes and thought I'd respond...Bryan, Tillamook is a creamery in Oregon and is wayyyy worth it (unless you have access to another great cheesemaker). I'm sure TJs would carry it. Try the "black label" cheddar...pricey, but so worth it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Phil, Yep! Anybody else looking for this cheese in PA here's the list. For other states Click Me
ACME – Pennsylvania
Assoulin – Philadelphia
Chef’s Market – Philadelphia
East Indies – Philadelphia
Fresh Field’s – Northwales, Devon
Genuardi’s – Pennsylvania
Giant Eagle – Pennsylvania
International Foods – Philadelphia
Rago – Philadelphia
South Street Market – Philadelphia
Trader Joe’s – Ardmore, Jenkintown, Media, Philadelphia, Wayne
Wegman’s Grocery – Pennsylvania
Whole Foods – Devon, Jenkintown, North Wales, Philadelphia (20th & Callowhill Sts), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Wynnewood

I think I have seen the Tillahook at Costco, probably a 2-pound brick. Cabot has an extra-sharp white cheddar that is good too. Next time I'll try the Tillahook, though.

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
I think I have seen the Tillamook at Costco

Costco does carry it, and that's where I normally buy it. I don't know if it's a west coast thing or not, but in regular grocery stores tillamook cheddar will run about $9 per 2 pound brick (more for black label). In costco, it's $5. Big difference for a quality product!

I made the stove top Mac & Cheese recipe posted by Kevin Kruger and liked it very much. I have to find the perfect cheese combo but it was very good. I did not use the whole can of evaporated milk because it was just fine using the initial 1 cup, no need for any more, would have bee too runny IMO. Thanks for posting this Kevin.
icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
I made the stove top Mac & Cheese recipe posted by Kevin Kruger and liked it very much. I have to find the perfect cheese combo but it was very good. I did not use the whole can of evaporated milk because it was just fine using the initial 1 cup, no need for any more, would have bee too runny IMO. Thanks for posting this Kevin.
icon_cool.gif
I need to add to this. I over cooked the mac a little so that's why I didn't need all the evap milk. Cheese, I used a good bit of Longhorn which didn't melt all that well/grainy. I just have to use a better cheese combo. Nothing wrong with the recipe, just user/me error.
icon_redface.gif

Try jack, medium or sharp cheddar and goat.

Make sure the pan is over low heat. Cheeses that are drier or more aged (Longhorn, sharp and extra sharp cheddars, dry jack, asiago, etc.) are trickier to melt than softer, younger cheeses. Hot temps can cause them to break and/or become gritty.

Make your first cheese addition a preponderance of the softer cheese (jack, say, or goat, or one of the Swisses). When that is mostly melted in start adding the firmer cheese(s) in small quantities as you stir/fold.

Make the the firmer cheeses are finely grated too. That helps.

I know pretty much everyone here does everything from anyways but I know a huge difference I found when using the cheddar type cheeses if shredding my own instead of the bagged stuff. Melts much nicer and smoother. I don't by the bag stuff much at because of the gritty texture when melting in any dish.

Now, I know NOBODY posts pictures of mac and cheese on a BBQ web site
icon_smile.gif
but I'm trying to figure out how to post small pix in-line with Google's Picasa as the photo hosting....this is a test !

The other night I made Kevin Kruger's "Stovetop" recipe, minus the toasty stuff....I hate bread crumbs or crusty stuff on top of my food ! Used some cheeses I had on hand...some pre-shredded mild cheddar, some Colby-Jack, and some cheap sharp cheddar.

Man, it was great !!! But....it DOES set up, so the "serve immediately" is good advice....haven't tried the reheated leftovers yet !

mac.jpg

Thanks, Kevin !

Dean...

I just did one tonight along with a meatloaf.
16 oz elbow macaroni

sauce
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup AP flour
whisk until smooth 5 min.
3 cups milk whisk until thickened 10 min
8 oz cream cheese
whisk till combined 10 min
! cup grated gouda
1 cup grated x sharp cheddar
1 cup grated parmesan
whisk again till combined and smooth