Roll, lamb, roll!

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I do this before every Christmas. It gives me something very tasty to eat for breakfast, as well as presents to those "who already owns everything".

If anyone has any training in butchering or meat handling, you will notice that I cut up the lamb in a different way described in the books. I use most of the lamb to make a lamb roll. That is the reason for buying half a lamb as well. I can cut it up as I want to. I need large pieces of skin.
This is sort of a recipe:
Take one half lamb, cut out the steak and save it for later.

Cut along the backbone to get as large pieces of the skin intact. Use the saw to separate the backbone and the ribs.

Cut out as much meat as possible, including the brisket. The bones and the meat makes a tasty broth for lamb stew. Remove all the fat you can find. Lamb fat is horrible, will destroy the roll if you do not remove it.

Add 2.7% salt, garlic, basil, dried peppers, mustard seeds, pepper and a touch of cayenne to the meat. Add some gelatin as well
Find your meatpress, place a large piece of skin first, and then fill the press with scraps and pieces of meat, place the meat as tight as you can. Top off with another piece of skin, and tighten the press.
Cook in an oven at 215F, use a meat temp and take it out when core temperature is 170F.
Sorry, no pictures of this, too busy.
Here’s my cutter. It is very old, older than me, I guess. When I got it, it was so blunt that it did not even slice bread. Not so anymore.

And here, ready for the foodsaver. I bought a large box of these foiled papers, I think they are worth it when I’m giving the food away as presents.

Pics too small? Click on them!

Never had it made with Lamb. But we often eat "press sylta" around M-mas. But this looks even better.

Geir - that looks fantastic. I'm a lamb fan and wouldn't have any trouble stealing some of that out of your fridge
icon_smile.gif

Very nice looking. This is a candidate for a video to show the whole process IMHO.

Thanks for sharing!

GEIR, Video, absolutely, I would send a little check ! WOW, This is a Christmas item for sure !! I love,I mean LOVE lamb any way, any place, any part !! ( if not the video, then just hand write the recipe,in any language ! WOW
I just bought a vintage, Italian slicing knife, and I can see this along side a porchetta de testa with the guests wondering what may challenge them tonight. WHO-EEE !! ( OYE,I think I need a pill )

Excellent Geir! I am not a fan of lamb, but after looking at this, may give it a shot if some finds its way into my x-mas stocking.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back