Stoker Question, complete novice with friends that can help

m low

Hi, I just ordered a Stoker and wanted to make sure I have all of the things I need to run it properly off my computer before asking friends to help me set up the network. What I have now is a Mac desktop, but also a windows desktop running XP. I get the internet via cable and therefore have a cable modem. The cable modem runs to an airport express which broadcasts wifi. That is how I pick up the internet on my desktop and laptop. I also use other apple expresses units throughout the house to stream music to remote locations. What do I need to run the stoker? Can it talk to my wifi without additional equipment? or do I need to hardwire it to the airport express via a cable (then what type of cable do I need to buy). I have read about a wireless bridge, is this a different product, or is it my apple express units? The cable modem and apple express that broadcasts wifi is only about 7 feet from the grill, so if wireless is sporadic, should I just run a wire to the Stoker? Then if I want to use stoker log, it can only run on my laptop, correct? Does using airport express (an apple product) matter in using stoker log. BTW, where can I get a copy of the log. Thanks for any help. I am so excited to get this thing to work as quickly as possible and would hate to have to find an open radio shack on Sunday afternoon b/c I don't have the right equipment. Thanks again all you experts out there.

m low, I'm not familiar with Apple stuff (other than the iPhone) but will try and answer your questions. The Stoker can be run directly from the Stoker interface so you don't need any network connection to get started. Once you connect your Stoker to your network you can access the Stoker's built-in webpage to set it up. Because this is a webpage you will be able to access it from either your Mac or XP through a browser pointing to the IP address of the Stoker. Amir's application only runs on Microsoft's OSs. So if you want to use Amir's logging app you will only be able to do so on your XP machine (one of the threads on this forum has the URL to download this amazing app). OK, on to connecting the Stoker to your network. From your description it sounds like the Apple Express provides wireless and wired network access. If the Apple Express is only 7' away from where the Stoker would be then go buy a 10' ethernet cable and connect it via the ethernet cable to the Apple Express. If you eventually want to connect the Stoker to your network wirelessly, you will need what is called a Wireless Ethernet Adapter (also called a wireless bridge). Personally I would go the wired path to your Apple Express as a first attempt as that will limit the number of items that will need to be configured correctly in order for it to work. People will most likely not agree with this next statement but for a first Stoker cook I would use the Stoker's built-in webpage. You will have enough going on setting up the stoker and adjusting the vents appropriately. Once you have that set then add Amir's app (it is really great!).

A.vale, Amir. Thank you for the help. So I connect it hardline via the apple express and then can configure it via my Mac. After its configured, I can install your program Amir onto my laptop and run it that way> Or should I be using the laptop to initially configure it. Thanks again. I can't wait to try it and want to do it before the leaves fall here in Boston (with a Boston Butt waiting!)

The first process you mentioned works just fine. I.e. use the Ethernet cable and use your Mac to see if it finds the stoker.

Note that stoker by default has its "IP address" (its identity) auto configured by your router same as all of your computers. Since you need that IP address to type in the browser and/or my program, you need to look it up on the stoker menu. I am not home but it is under System->IP address or some such thing.

What most of us do, and this is an advanced hint so I hope doesn't confuse you (if it does, ignore it for now), is to give the stoker a fixed address so that we can always type the same thing and talk to it. After getting the above IP address for the first time, then just fix the right number to something high and tell the stoker to not get the address automatically. For example, if you see 192.168.1.3 for the stoker, change that to 192.168.1.88 and use that from then on. By using a high number "88" you are making sure that other devices which get their number automatically don't wind up with the same value (in other words, you can have 88 PCs in your home before there is an issue).

The main thing you need to configure using your Mac is to assign a probe to the "blower" and give all your probes a name. The former cannot be done in my program. Stoker can be used with many probes but one is special and is the one that controls the temp of the fire. That is the blower one I mention above.

Finally, try all of this before you make a fire. You can just let the stoker sit somewhere. Configure the above and see if the stoker reads the temps in your room. Then lower the target temp below that for the blower sensor and the fan should come on. Change it above that and it should go off after a few seconds.

m low,

One thing I did to clear up a lot of confusion with blowers and probes; specifically probes, is to go to the hardware store and buy a five pack of colored electrician's tape. I then wrapped a piece of tape around each of the phone plugs (the part that plugs in to the stoker) and named that probe by the color of the tape that was on it. Thus probe 0201m63956 or whatever the factory sn of the probe was, now became BLUE. If I am using multiple probes I automatically know that the red probe is the fire probe, yellow is my blower and then if I am using a rack inside of the cooker I put the blue probe in the highest position (sky), the white next lowest (clouds) and finally the green in the lowest position (grass). Sorry I am anal retentive; however, I never wonder which probe is in which piece of meat.
icon_smile.gif

I just noticed that Rock updated his website. He promotes Amir's application and provides a link where it can be downloaded.

Never has a draft of air felt so good. I got the damn thing to work. Thank you all for the help. I stumbled on it more than anything else. Not sure if I set the static number correct, but I tried and it works now. Onto Amir's program next, but again, thanks for all the help.

Man, this is the coolest thing in the world. I got Amir's program to work last night, that is so cool that you wrote the program Amir, great job. It makes me wish I knew how to write code so I could play around with it also. Question I have, however, is do the two programs (the original stoker program and Stoker Log) compete with each other. Do I have to make sure that I have closed the stoker program if I am using stoker log? Also, the fan seems to blow for a little while and then shut off for a minute and then turn on and off in rapid succession. Is that the way the fan is supposed to work? Thanks. Have fun Frank, its a blast and I have not even cooked anything with it yet.

I use the two together all the time and never had a problem. You just have to be aware that if you change data on the Stoker web page, you need to press F5 in StokerLog (Refresh Data from Stoker on File Menu) so it will use the updated Stoker settings. I only change the target temps while doing a cook though, nothing else... just being conservative. I love StokerLog... it is a fantastic piece of work, my thanks to Amir!

While on the topic of great software, check out Ken Brown's Stoker Timers. It is a simple application that can send a text message to your mobile phone on a timed basis that shows you the pit, target and food temps. It is simple and easy to use and even includes a web browser so you can use the Stoker's web page right in his application. High tech meets fire cooking! Love this hobby!

All the best,
Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m low:
...Also, the fan seems to blow for a little while and then shut off for a minute and then turn on and off in rapid succession. Is that the way the fan is supposed to work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you first turn on the Stoker, the fan comes on for a second or so then shuts off. After that, it cycles depending on the target temperature setting. The best way to find out how it works is to run it on the WSM with hot coals. Using it with real fire will answer all your questions. At room temp you can grip the temp sensors to increase the temp to shut the blower off (assuming the temp setting is appropriate) but it will still cycle the blower on and off as the temp changes.

Congrats! Can you post whether you would recommend the web interface first and then Amir's app or just diving in? Btw, you can save cooking profiles with Amir's app which is very cool too!

Back