Reasonably Priced IR Thermometer

Hi Ray,

Santa Claus (wife) blessed me with an infrared laser thermometer for Christmas. Perhaps I don't know how to use it properly or realize all the potential uses, but I can't see it being too helpful in many/most cooking situations. Don't they just measure the surface temperature? Can anyone give hints about cooking use? It's fun to play/experiment with.
icon_smile.gif

###

I bought a very similar one that was made by Maverick. Barbecues Galore sells them for the same price $49 but I they were having a sale and I got it for about $35. It works really well, so check out Barbecues Galore and see you you can get it for the cheaper price.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:
Don't they just measure the surface temperature?
### </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what I thought too, or am I wrong?

Yeah, they measure the surface temperature. I use mine to check the griddle temp when making things like blackened catfish or pancakes. I also use it to make sure my air conditioner is working.

Bill

I've "played" with mine a lot. You can quickly check the various areas of your refrigerator or freezer and see which areas are the coldest/warmest. It is surprising to see how quickly the interior and contents of a refrigerator or freezer start to warm when the door is opened...

Last week, I checked my electric skillet for temperature. I knew the thermostat was way wacky after 30+ years of use. By design, it has hot spots around the heating element. But, I was surprised at the variation of temperatures overall. I took about eight measurements and they ranged from about 320 to 390 degrees F. Most were near the desired 350 degrees F. for the quarter-inch of peanut oil. The thermostat needed to be set about 25 degrees lower than what the dial indicated to achieve that desire range. The chicken fried perfectly!

So, you can see if a skillet has reached the desired temperature before adding ingredients to it. You can check the temperature of water coming out of your faucet--good if you want the right temperature water for yeast. You can, if you are so disposed, check the outer temperature of your meat if you want the meat to come up to a desired temperature before putting it on the smoker.

I'm trying to think of other things for which I've gotten some practical use out of the IR-Laser thermometer. I probably use it once or twice a week for something. However, I still have the ol' micro-tip instant-read thermometer ready for checking food for adequate internal temperature. I still use wireless remote thermometers for cooker and/or internal meat temperatures.

Oh, for the A/C, I have a little-used photography thermometer stuck in a vent. You can read the temperature in the dark because the dial glows!

###

http://www.amazon.com/Masterco...1PKGF345GCW1YNWFTTFK

I got this one at Amazon. Good brand. The field of view ratio they have on their website is incorrect, it is 12:1 also.

----------------------------------------
I've used it for -
Verifying my AC is working well.
Measure the temperature of my griddle to be sure they are ready to make pancakes.
To see the temperature of my kids foreheads.
Temperature of my pool
Quote - he who dies with the most toys wins
icon_smile.gif

----------------------------------------

I have one of these that I use in my job (it belongs to my employer, not to me), but I just don't see it as a tool to be used in cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:
Hi Ray,

Santa Claus (wife) blessed me with an infrared laser thermometer for Christmas. Perhaps I don't know how to use it properly or realize all the potential uses, but I can't see it being too helpful in many/most cooking situations. Don't they just measure the surface temperature? Can anyone give hints about cooking use? It's fun to play/experiment with.
icon_smile.gif

### </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As other folks state above. This doesn't replace the need or use of a thermapen (which I have and use often). Basically for any use where you want to temp surface and not internal.

Also use for checking temp of oil for deep frying. And griddle temp, I have a large cast aluminum griddle that replaces my left two gas burners. Being able to check actual temp on that is pretty handy. Also I use an old cast iron waffle iron, so good for checking themps there as well.

For the price handy to have around. I received the one I mention yesterday. If you are thinking about picking one up this one is pretty well constructed for the $$

Thanks for the tip Ray.

I've been thinking about one of these for a while.
Aside from griddle and oil temping, I'll be using it to measure the effect on heat distribution of some modifications to my smokers.
Plus maybe some thermal leakage inspection around the house.

Back