PCI grates

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Just bought a new Genesis Silver B with PCI grates and love it!! Had my first cook last night....do I need to clean the PCI grates as often as I would clean regular SS grates? Aren't you suppose to let the leftover seasoning accumulate on the grate or remove them for the next cook?

By the way, when searing steaks, after the grill is very, very hot, do ya'll leave one burner on high and the other two burners on medium? If so, do you leave the middle burner on high?

Russell,

I'll share my experience with you. First question was:

Aren't you suppose to let the leftover seasoning accumulate on the grate

After grilling, I turn all burners to high for about 5 minutes and that burns off most of the residue. Then just brush with a good brass brush.

Nest question was

"do ya'll leave one burner on high and the other two burners on medium? "

That depends on what I am cooking. If the meat requires indirect cooking (most poultry) I turn the front and back burners to medium, and turn off the center burner. If I am grilling steaks, I sear the meat with all burners on high, then reduce the burners to low, or sometimes turn off the center burner after searing and keep the front and back burners at medium (usually for thicker cuts of meat).

Also - begore putting anything on my PCI grates, I always heat them on high until they are really hot, then brush again with a brass brush, and then I always brush the grill with an oil soaked paper towel before putting anything on the grate.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Ray is dead on!

The PC Cast grates need not be seasoned. they are porcelen coated. No need to season them.

they retain heat so well. I preheat the grill on direct high for about 10min. (500+ deg) then when I am ready to cook I turn all burners to med. or med off med (MOM) depending on what I am cooking.

to clean, all burners on high for five min or so (again looking for 500deg) and brush with a brass brush. Dont forget to wipe the inside of the lid once a month or so with a dry paper towel when the grill is warm... NOT hot!

Joe

When you have nice clean PCI grates and apply a little oil before cooking chicken breasts, they'll slide around like they're on teflon.

Be sure to sear some nice cross hatch grill marks in your steak. The PCI grates do it wonderfully and you'll impress the heck out of the neighborhood.

I have heard the porcelain coating is softer when hot, so I don't brush my grates when they are hot. I just do a burn off and let them cool. I will brush them before my next cook. It's my hope to extend the life of the grates as much as possible.

Back