Is it worth it?

Mike Schultz

I have been using the 18" for some time now, and have been looking to upgrade to the 22". figured it would be easier to use in cook-offs etc. with the extra capacity. My only problem is, are there still bugs to be worked out with the new 22"? and is it really worth the upgrade?

Thanks

definately. my door needed a little bending and the vent/grate thing isnt a deal breaker for me.
my 18" was only 8 months old. but i think i showed a lot of restraint waiting til 12-26 to order the 22. i'm very satisfied. now if that 26" kettle would get shipped

If you're serious about the competitions, I think it is definitely worth the upgrade, just for the extra space. If you're like me, and just grill for friends and family, not so much, but you specially mentioned it being easier to use in the cook-offs, which I'm assuming are pretty much the exact same thing as what I call competitions.

I don't have a 22" myself, but the only real issues I've heard are what was mentioned above: the access door needing bending to fit right, and the charcoal grate sitting near/on the vent tabs. Someone that has a 22" can chime in on these issues.

Bottom line: if you plan to use it for cook-offs, I definitely think the upgrade is worth it. Besides, then you'd have two WSMs, and more is better, right?

I just received my 22.5 last week and cooked on it yesterday for the first time. I did four full racks of SL cut ribs and loved it. I followed the recepie for the "Best ribs in the universe" and it seemed very much on target as to temperature and timing.

The WSM 22.5 I received is tight, true and performs as advertised. For one cook experience I couldn't be happier.

Lou

Back