A good everyday sea salt for cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I generally use kosher salt when I can, but need an everyday sea salt that I don't have to mail-order. I can get Redmond (Utah) sea salt which has an interesting flavor. I've used Hain sea salt (natural foods section) in the past and it's....well, salt.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Rita

I'd suggest La Baleine as a usually easy-to-find sea salt. If offered (and if you use salt grinders rather than shakers) get the coarse version as when ground by a mill feels better than the already-ground fine version.

In doing some salt research recently for a thing I'm (kinda sorta) working on I came across this article on Slate.com. Amusingly written, it mirrors my salt preferences fairly well. (There are several I like that were not included in the test.) But La Baleine has served well as an inexpensive sea salt--and it's available in Okeechobee at Publix.

Thanks, Kevin. I'll check our Publix - I've seen it somewhere - at Publix or at DeKalb Farmers Market.

I see that McCormick has a sea salt grinder too but does not state the source.

I've been meaning to get one. Is there a brand/model of salt mill that you would recommend?

Rita

I think Oxo discontinued their 'Grind it' salt grinder but if you can locate one it's an inexpensive if not particularly attractive option for dry coarse salt. Unicorn makes some of the best mills available (though I wish they weren't only in shiny ABS). I have 2 of their peppermills and a salt. Wm Bounds Jar Salt Mill (scroll here) is an option. For moist salts (not La Baleine, salts like those from Brittany, e.g.) this Peugeot is a good one.

I was looking at the Unicorn Magnum the other day. I think $31 for a quality grinder is reasonable. It looks as if they don't make the salt grinder in the extra tall Magnum Plus - it would probably be unwieldy anyway. I'll go with the salt grinder in the medium size, the only one available anyway. - Thank you!

Rita

I have a set of Unicorn for S&P on the dinner table. As with most things there is good news and bad. Good news is you twist the top instead of squeezing. BUT it takes both hands to use it.I have arthritis(sp) in my wrists and hands and the squeeze action of the other mills that they have husts. For a quick shot I have one of these: Vic Firth STS06SM01 "Pump & Grind" Salt Mill, Stainless Steel .They are heavy and somewhat overpriced but don't take up a lot of room.You pump with the thumb to grind. I don't use it for a large amount as it gets painful.Works one-handed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back