I'm goin' back to charcoal!

Terry Hlavaty

TVWBB Member
I've given up on my gas Go-Anywhere, and going back to Smokey Joe's. Just got my new SJG from Amazon, bought a fresh silver last week off Craigslist, plus my old SJS. Ordered a SJS bottom vent, and an extra lid vent from Weber parts.
Is the best approach still to add a bottom vent to the SJ Gold, is another top vent really needed? I'd like to avoid having to "crack" the lid slightly while cooking, and want to use the SJG as my "travel" grill, due to the locking lid.
I tried searching the archives, but couldn't find the post I thought was there regarding the SJG improvements.
Thanks all,
TJH

Gas sucks.
icon_biggrin.gif

Really though, I used to use our gasser all the time but now the cover rarely comes off. My wife bitches about it because she says "I can't do charcoal like you do" I said well, better learn. When we do use the gasser (with electronic start) I have to start it "because she can't". So tough crap. We use charcoal.
icon_wink.gif

i would leave the gold alone. once you have the lower vent in you are gonna have ash issues. the gold does just fine for simple cooking while on the road. as to portability, i just use bungee cords to tie down the lid of the silver. works great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i would leave the gold alone. once you have the lower vent in you are gonna have ash issues. the gold does just fine for simple cooking while on the road. as to portability, i just use bungee cords to tie down the lid of the silver. works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too late buddy. With the extra top vent, and the added bottom vent, it breaths beautifully! No more having to "crack" the lid to keep it lit.
HRG

Back