Arroz Rossejat en Paella a la WSM

Jim Langford

TVWBB Fan
Rossejat means ?golden? in the Valencian language. It?s imperative that you make this rice with a good, strong broth. It?s traditionally made in the oven with broth and leftover ingredients from a typical Spanish cocido , but I make in on top of the stove, or over a wood fire, and I use leftover meats that I've cooked on my WSM. These meats give the dish a lovely smoky flavor.

Arroz Rossejat en Paella a la WSM

200 grams smoked meat (pork butt, brisket, rib meat, etc, or a mixture)

1 morcilla (blood sausage) and/or 1 Spanish chorizo or Portuguese lingui?a or similar. (You might want to pierce the sausages with a fork and gently boil them in a little water before using them to get rid of some of the fat. Of course smoking them would be the best way to go. Don?t use Mexican chorizo?it?s far too greasy.)

125 grams cooked garbanzos (you could use canned)

1 small piece of slab bacon (1?x 1??), diced

1 medium potato

3 small red tomatoes

1 head of garlic

300 grams medium grain rice
about 1/3 cup good olive oil (extra virgin if possible)

? liter strong chicken broth

1 teaspoon good paprika

Chop up the meat. Peel the potato and cut it into rounds about 1/8 inch thick. Peel and chop one of the tomatoes. Wash the other two, dry them and cut them in half. Rinse the head of garlic and dry it off. Heat up the chicken broth.

Heat up the olive oil in a 40 cm paella pan. Fry the entire head of garlic, rolling it around in the oil so it cooks evenly on all sides. Then add and fry the potato over medium heat until the rounds are slightly browned but soft, not crisp; then add the tomato halves and, finally, the chopped tomato. Let everything cook for a while. Add the paprika and stir it around for a few seconds until it gives off its aroma. It burns easily, so be careful! Add the rice and quickly spread it out evenly in the pan. Add the boiling broth and turn up your heat source (fan the coals, move burning sticks under the pan, etc).

Add the garbanzos, the meat, the sausage and the slab bacon. Arrange things so that the head of garlic is in the center and the potato slices and tomato halves are around it. Check the broth and, if necessary, add salt.

Keep the paella at a strong boil for the first 8-10 minutes; then let the fire gradually burn down. The paella should keep bubbling along, but at a slower rate. Sixteen minutes into the cook you should start testing the rice to see if it?s done. I find that it usually takes 18 minutes.

When the rice is done, take it off the fire. Cover with a damp towel or some aluminium foil and let it rest for five minutes before serving.

A green salad and a bottle of Spanish Rioja or California Cabernet Sauvignon would go well with this hearty dish.

Is it unnatural to be craving this dish at 10:29am?? Thanks, Jim, my PB&J sandwich that I have waiting for me for lunch seems even more boring now than it did when I made it this morning!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This sounds great!! Thanks for posting!

Rich G.

Back