gourmet ECB help

Matt T

TVWBB Member
I currently have the "green giant" made by brinkman. Its the gourmet smoker that has very short legs on it. I was hoping to find a 17 inch diameter smokey joe to use for the base, kinda like the wsm. Or should i just mod the current base and add some expanded metal to hold more charcoal?

I can make my own dampers for the bottom and top if needs be. I will just leave the gap between the lid and base unless its not enough exhaust.

anyway, im just curious what i should do

thanks guys

close but mine uses charcoal! this is the one i have in the image blow. Here is a mod site for it but i think something a we bit extra can be added.

I was thinking of using a weber one touch silver or some other kettle as the base. or adding a charcoal ring to the current base i have.

http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

smoker_01.jpg

If the body of the cooker fits on an 18 in kettle it will work with present top, but if won't fit well on kettle bottom just do the standard ECB mods

ok, thats what i was getting at. you have the site also. not sure what else. i know on the older models with the three legs the mods work well. i've seen many with the smokey joe used as the fire box. i'm sure yours could be modded that way.

how would the smokey joe work for the fire box? my base is 17 inches in diameter! and the center piece is 17 in diameter as well. does someone have a pic of the smokey joe being used with my ecb?

thanx

non with yer ecb. the point with the older ones with the legs was that the sj would go inside. you would have to add legs to yers for the sj to work. yes, there is a big air gap but doesn't seem to matter when doing it this way. i would try the mods for yers on that site first.

ok cool. im gonna start today and im gonna drill a bunch of holes in the silver charcoal holder so it has more air flow, based on what i give it of course. haha.

thanks guys

PS, im thinking of making a mini smoker for camping since the ECB aint to portable in a car. haha

Matt, does this ECB fit with the 18" Weber kettle? I already have an 18" kettle so it would be great to add the ECB middle section too it for a cheap smoker option.

I bet it would but i have the 22.5 inch kettle. haha, so im willing to bet it wont fit mine. To bad though. i could have mad a wsm out of it.

thanks for the idea though. i still MIGHT try it on the 22.5 incher

Back