Storm blows in, WSMs take a tumble...

Jeff Hite

Last practice run prior to next weekend's Music City BBQ Fest. Weather in Nashville was beautiful yesterday. I put 10lb pork butt on at 6pm and settled in for Titans game.

Watched news after game and saw rain forecast for overnight (no storms, just rain). Normally I would have grabbed pop-up tent, but neighbor had it. So, I grabbed umbrella and large base from deck, set it up over WSM to prepare for rain.

At 5am I was up checking on butt. WSM #1 was steady at 250 and I was loading WSM #2 getting ready for ribs. There was a steady rain, but no wind. Both smokers were dry under the large umbrella.

Out of nowhere, big wind gust. Umbrella blows over and the large cast iron base knocks over both smokers. WSM#1 falls hard and the butt flew about 5 feet away. Ashes/charcoal all over the driveway. I grabbed gloves and the butt, threw in pan and took to kitchen. Back outside, I put both smokers back together, shut everything down and cleaned up what I could.

Just took the pork butt out of the oven after 2 hours @ 275 with internal temp @ 191. It smells great, it looks great. I'll let you know how it tastes.

Buckshot Malone's Pig Shack
www.GodsofSmoke.com

Jeff -

You may want to measure your WSM's to make sure they didn't get out of round, especially since you have a comp coming up next weekend.

Good luck!

Back