Grill Wok

Big Ir

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone,

My wife just got me a grill wok, and I have no idea of what to cook on this, anyone use this weber wok? Any good recipies out there?

I keep waiting for some kind soul to give us some help with this. I want to buy one but am not sure if it is good or just another gadget.

Stir Fry........
icon_eek.gif

I'm really late to this game, but here are a couple uses for the grill wok.

I use mine for fajitas - chicken, shrimp, and sometimes beef. That way I can cut everything before marinating to really infuse the flavor into the pieces, and grilled fajitas are a whole lot better than pan cooked.

Another good use is for grilling vegetables. I like to drizzle olive oil over asparagus, season with an herb blend (Fox Point Seasoning from Penzeys) and grill over direct heat in the wok basket.

Big Ir - when you try these you will really appreciate the great gift your wife bought you.

I just mix together what ever vegetables I feel like: eggplant, squash, etc. Pour some Italian Salad Dressing over them, mix well, and grill until they look right. It is very quick and you can use the rest of the grill for the meat you want. We love it...tom

Sometimes when I grill, I take the stirfry basket and put onions and peppers in it and a little butter. Then I put it on the grill for 10 minutes, grill my steaks or burgers, take them off and then the onions and peppers are about done. They come out pretty nicely, IMO.

This is one accessory I cannot live without. All my vegetables get cooked in it, and you can usually have enough room for the basket AND the meat.

It's been a while but I didn't want to start a new thread about this item.
Other than Amazon,where can you get it? My daughter lives in Houston and couln't locate one for Xmas for me. Any retailers carry it. I couldn't even find it at the Weber web site. Does it really exist or is this a trick!LOL

Pat, mine was bought locally at a BBQ Galore. I'll bet some hardware stores will stock it in what they call grilling season...as if it had a seaon in our parts of the country.

Rita

BBQ stores should stock this year round I would imagine. I got mine at a yard sale for $3. It was already seasoned, but I broke it in.

I think there are two different options out there - a wok/basket that goes on top ofthe grate (like a pan on a stove) and the Weber wok that i believe replaces the grate.
The veg basket has holes in it and is great for grilling veg. The weber woks are different beasts - no holes so can either stir fry or boil stuff in sauce - please correct me if I'm wrong.

did you guys try home depot.my local store has them on the shelf.

Maybe the local Big Box stores wil stock them when "Grilling Season" starts. So far no go

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" when there is no posted bag and possession limit!!

Originally posted by James M-B:
I think there are two different options out there - a wok/basket that goes on top ofthe grate (like a pan on a stove) and the Weber wok that i believe replaces the grate.
The veg basket has holes in it and is great for grilling veg. The weber woks are different beasts - no holes so can either stir fry or boil stuff in sauce - please correct me if I'm wrong.
Interesting. I'm about to purchase an 22 1/2 gold series and would like to know if the wok is solid. A wok/basket is one thing but a real wok is even better. Of course I could just purchase an stainless or carbon steel wok and use that.

The wok basket is for use on top of your grate. If you want a completely separate wok, they do make those for outdoor use with a stand. Saw one at BBQ's Galore for around $200.

TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS! I guess I'll just keep using my wok on the turkey fryer burner. When I get the one touch gold I'll figure something out. Thought it might be fun doing stir fry over hot coals.

Well, it was very nice. The burner stand was elevated to waist level so you didn't have to stoop over. I guess you could probably assemble the same thing with bricks or block for your turkey fryer. The wok bowl with this unit was stainless steel.

I have the solid wok for the Weber 22 1/2 inch. It is made by Weber and has a really good fit. I am not sure how much it cost as I got it for a brthday gift. It has not been used yet but fajitas sound good for dinner. It is made out of stainless steel and is fairly thick.

Wok at Amazon

Mark

Mark
The wok is a great addition for the kettle or for a sideburner on a gasser. There are many good recipes available you are only restricted by your imagination.
Here are a couple that you may want to try.

Tasmanian Scallops with Champagne
A special thanks to my mate Steve from Tasmania for this recipe.
This dish is cooked in a Wok on the side burner of your Gas BBQ or using the Weber Kettle Wok with direct heat. Once you have eaten scallops this way you will be spoilt for life. Trust me!

1 kg fresh Tasmanian scallops
1 bottle of brut Champagne or good quality, dry, sparkling Chardonnay.
300 ml fresh cream
1 shallot (chopped)
1 chicken stock cube
Let the scallops stand in the fridge for a few hours. Drain off all moisture before cooking.
Pour about 1/2 a bottle of the champagne in the wok and bring to the boil. Add the scallops and bring back to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, turn the scallops continually. The scallops should just be turning white in the middle.
Remove and drain the scallops and set aside. Bring the champagne back to the boil and slowly add the; stock cube, cream and shallot, simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced to half. Add the scallops again and heat through (about 1-minute).
Serve immediately on a bed of rice. Serve the unused champagne as the accompanying drink.
For a different taste use 1/2 clove of garlic instead of the shallot. Do not use more than 1/2 a clove of garlic as the secret of this dish is in the taste of the champagne and scallop with the infusion of the cream.

Honey & Soy Mushrooms
20 to 30 small button mushrooms (stalks removed)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
1 small chilli finely sliced
Mix the honey, soy sauce and oyster sauce together. Heat oil in wok on BBQ side burner or using the Weber Kettle Wok, add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes moving continually. Add honey and soy mixture and continue to cook the mushrooms ensuring that the mushrooms are well coated. When the mushrooms are cooked and the sauce has thickened, place the mushrooms in a serving dish and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and chilli slices.

Easy Garlic Seafood
1 Kg fresh green prawns peeled with the tails on (you can substitute the prawns with any other type of fresh raw seafood without skin that will absorb the flavours)
1 Bottle of dry white wine or sparkling wine
1 cups of thickened cream
4 cloves of garlic minced (or to taste)
1 chicken stock cube
salt to taste
cornflour slurry for thickening
Let the sseafood stand in the fridge for a few hours. Drain off all moisture before cooking.
Pour about 1/2 a bottle of the wine in the wok and bring to the boil. Add the seafood and bring back to the boil and simmer for 3 –4 minutes, gently turning the seafood to ensure all is cooked. The seafood should be opaque to slightly white in the centre. Do not overcook.
Remove and drain the seafood cover with foil and set aside. Bring the wine back to the boil and slowly add the; stock cube, cream and garlic and simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced to half. Add the sea again and heat through (about 1-minute), add the cornflour slurry and thicken to a thick consistency.
Serve on top of a steak as surf and turf, or serve with a crusty bread.

Regards

Back