Weber SJP vs Weber Q

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
Any insight on which of these grills is best for tailgating? My Smokey Joy got destroyed and I need to replace my tailgating grill. Now is a good time to buy and I want to get the best for my needs. I would love to hear from people that can give me the pros and cons of tailgaiting with both. Also, how long will the Q run on one of those disposable gas tanks?
Thanks!

(Never one to avoid stating the obvious) The SJP is a charcoal grill - less convenient to light, but more tasty food. The Q is the opposite. Which is more important to you?

I have both and tailgate alot... If I was to only have one it would be the Q.... It has more surface area.. and is cleaner and cools down faster when you are under time constraints... also some lots frown on live coals... It also depends on what you cook and for how many... I tend to cook for larger groups and foods that are less high maitenance.... If i was to have small taigates with lots of steaks I would go with the charcoal... but we do breakfast (on a cast iron skillet), then lunch and dinner... so the propane eliminates messing with coals the whole time... Then I supplement with the SJ for steaks or kabobs that need the smoke...

For the price buy a new Q and then pick up a used SJ on craigs list... that is what I did....
icon_smile.gif

Also FYI I use the connector hose and a large propane tank.. it is the only way to go with the Q.

Jeff
A 9 kg (20 lb) tank will last about 36 hours on a Q 200/220.
I disagree that steaks taste better over charcoal, but before everyone jumps down my throat, it is a personal taste, if you are used to smokey meat flavour then you will say they are best over charcoal. I prefer the completely natural flavour of the meat. I do not marinate or rub a steak just brush with a little oil and a small sprinkle of salt as it goes on and that is it. When I remove I put a teaspoon of butter on it and serve.

The Q has a lot of versatility and can be used at home as your primary gasser if you are only cooking for 6-8 people.

Regards

Frank and Phil, thank you! I think you have helped me decide I need to *** a Q to my collection! I tailgate at Titans and UK games and love to be busy on the grill. Thanks for your input!

Jeff
Send me your email address and I will send you some recipes for the Q and also a couple of photos of the set up for indirect.

my email address is in my profile.

regards

I vote for the Q! Just got it this year to replace an older Coleman gasser and couldn't be more pleased. I don't know what took me so long to pull the trigger. I also use this as my primary weekday cooker since it doesn't require alot of propane and very easy to clean.

Back