SJ Silver Vertical Grill Capacity

Barret

TVWBB Pro
I just got my new Smokey Joe Silver today! I have wanted one of these for a long time, mostly for camping and cooks in the park. However, after I completed the assembly, I just realized just how much vertical grill capacity it lacks compared to my Charbroil 14" Table Top Charcoal Mini-Kettle. The Weber SJS is about 3.25" from grill to top of inside lid, and the Charbroil is 4.75".

SL372193sm.jpg

I may need to somehow make the lid taller by adding some sort of ring. I don't typically fabricate anything from metal in my garage, so I may have to look around town.

Other than that, I'm very happy to have it, and will begin using it as soon as possible!

Barret

Interested in what you want to cook with the increased vertical space. If you want the most vertical space look at the mini smokers... in this category.

I agree with what the others have said. There isn't a whole lot that will fit in 4.75 inches that won't fit in 3.5. I guess if you want to fit a very small dutch oven, but most food would be rather flat.

If you wanted to do roasts like pork butt or rib roast, you'd need at least 6 inches.

Nice grill, by the way. Gonna be fun. I really like my SJG. It makes a great smoker/indirect cooker with the tamale cooker and is fun for smaller cooks.

I was just wondering out loud because sometimes I find I need just a bit more "head room" on my small mini-kettle. But, I'm going to give this one a try and see how it does.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JHunter:
If you want the most vertical space look at the mini smokers... in this category. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
J - yes, I've considered those, and may end up making one myself someday.

Barret

Don't get me wrong. I think adding head room is great. I used my tamale cooker insert yesterday and I'm amazed at how well it works. I've love to see your fabricated ring idea when/if you do it.

I just think the extra inch and a half won't make a big difference. If you are going to do it, go bigger and get the full benefit. If you are just going to use it for grilling direct, I'm not sure you'll need any more space.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
...for grilling direct, I'm not sure you'll need any more space. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Justin - correct. I was really wondering only for indirect purposes. Thanks for your thoughts; I'll show everyone on here what it looks like when I get a ring together for it.

Barret

Since we are on the topic, how do you like that char broil? it looks like it has an ash catcher thing on it. That must be nice?

Back