New Genesis Platinum B

RB Jr.

Wow. After weeks if not months of driving myself absolutely insane trying to choose a new gas grill, I finally pulled the trigger on a Genesis Platinum B.

I was looking at some of the Nexgrill manufactured grills at Lowes (Jen-Air) and the Grand Hall monster at Sams Club as well as the Weber line. After falling in love with the WSM, I knew that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I chose one of those other gas grills, so the Genesis it was.
icon_smile.gif

I settled on the natural gas version and I couldn't be happier. I was lucky enough to have someone come out the day that I called to have the gas line installed. Needless to say, I was grilling a few hours later.

I had some dogs in the fridge and figured they'd be easy to get this grill started. It turned out that they were just about the best hotdogs I had ever had in my life.
icon_smile.gif
Yes, I was excited about hotdogs. I knew at that point that everything else I cooked on this grill would be icing on the cake.

The second cook was hamburgers. I had some 80/20 ground chuck in the fridge and figured that they'd be a great way to "season" the grill. I've been reading the big Weber recipe book and figured that I'd follow their recommendations to a "T". The end result was one of the best burgers I've ever had.
icon_smile.gif

The Genesis replaced a Coleman 3000 that was a decent grill when it was purchased back in 2000. At the time, I knew nothing about grilling and even less about what to look for in a grill. Since that time, I've managed to grill quite a bit of over and under-cooked food on the Coleman. Most of that was my own fault, but something about this Genesis just seems to make things so easy. Maybe it's the stainless steel grates. Maybe it's the flavorizer bars. In any case, it's all good so far.

I guess the next cook will have to be chicken. I can't wait. I'm already looking for the Weber poultry roaster. After that, I'll probably toss some strip steaks on to see how that goes.

Thanks to all you folks that post here about your Weber grills. The information you provide was very helpful in my decision making process and while the Genesis might not "look" as good as some of the stuff in Home Depot and Lowes, I doubt many grills at this price point give you what Weber provides overall.

RB
The enthusiasm of you post is inspiring. Congratulations on your successes.

I always use a timer when cooking with my Q. When I was demonstrating the Genesis for Weber here in Australia I also used a timer to show how you could get consistent excellent results.
To get the times right I would set the gas control knobs to a set point and let the temperature settle. I would then cook the dish using a digital thermo, note the time that it took and then from then on I would just use the timer. I will adjust the times slightly for cold windy weather but it doesn't get that cold here so it's not much as much of a problem as it is where you are. Everything always comes out perfect.
Tell me - does the Genesis come with a solid grill plate in the USA or is it just an Australian thing.
Best regards

Hi Phil,

Thanks for noting the timer. I just purchased one. On my initial hamburger cook, I found myself running back and forth to the kitchen to make sure I only grilled them for ~ 4 minutes a side. With this grill, a timer, the Weber Real Grilling book, and good meat, I can't see how anyone can get less than excellent results.

No, the Genesis did not come with a solid grill plate. I'm guessing you'd use something like that to cook things like eggs, pancakes, etc?

Congratulations on your new purchase, I am sure you will be happy with the Genesis. The one thing that I really like about cooking with a good gas grill is the consistency of temp which helps you produce great food time and time again.

I will second the use of a timer for grilling, I have consistently been using one the last couple of years and it has been a great help. This seems like a no-brainer, but I was a little slow to pick up on it.

As far as the Weber chicken roaster, after seeing the demo on the Weber site, I have considered making the purchase. But, I have no need to buy one; I have gotten great results cooking whole chicken or parts on the WSM. Before you buy, give this a try. Just cook the chicken on the WSM on the top grill without the water pan. Use a full chimney of fuel, fully lit and the temp at the top vent will be in the 350 range. In about an hour +/-, your chicken should be fully cooked. I will turn it over once or twice during the cook. The result has been very good; the bird will be very juicy and golden brown. Since the meat is so far above the grill, it will not burn but it is hot enough to brown the skin. The best part is that the clean up is minimal and it is one of the easiest cooks you will ever do.

Cheers,
TomK

Back