Pitminder/DIGIQII fan size

Mike H.

TVWBB Member
I know seen a post on this before, However what size fan would you recomend? Guru recomended a 10cfm?? Going to place the order tomorrow or Thursday.Curious to what other users have.
Thanks
Mike

Competitor here with 10cfm fan. I leave the damper wide open till WSM gets to temp then close it off to about 1/2 open. The 10cfm fan is great for getting up to temp faster and if your pit temp drops because of low charcaol and or etc. One only has to add more unlit and open the damper back up till you get back up to temp. JMO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Competitor here with 10cfm fan. I leave the damper wide open till WSM gets to temp then close it off to about 1/2 open. The 10cfm fan is great for getting up to temp faster ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto! I also have been running the top vent at 1/2 with great results.
icon_cool.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bryan,

Thanks for passing that on. I was considering ordering a 4 cfm just for the WSM . I also have a Competitor and use a 10 cfm and was sure that would be too much air for a WSM. I can see where it would be a benefit to pick up temps quick. Do you see where it might stir up ash in the WSM at 10cfm?

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Pruitt:
Bryan,

Thanks for passing that on. I was considering ordering a 4 cfm just for the WSM . I also have a Competitor and use a 10 cfm and was sure that would be too much air for a WSM. I can see where it would be a benefit to pick up temps quick. Do you see where it might stir up ash in the WSM at 10cfm?

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rick, It does bring the temps up faster. Ash can be a problem if the fan comes on when the lid is off or access door is open. I've gotten into the habit over the years with the Comepitor to turn it off when opening the WSM up. I use Lump 90 % of the time, so I have more of the flying ash problem than briq users. Unless you are using Rancher briqs, then you know all about flying ash. It's a trade off in my book though. Nasty Kingsford putrid blue smoke, Chrysler Mini Van smell in front of you at a red light that makes me want to puke, or the smell of clean burning wood, and some ash problems. I choose the later everytime.
icon_wink.gif
HTH

I have the 4cfm fam for both my Pitminder and 2 DigiQ-II's. I've never had any problems bringing my WSM up to temp and keeping it there.

MikeZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
I have the 4cfm fam for both my Pitminder and 2 DigiQ-II's. I've never had any problems bringing my WSM up to temp and keeping it there.

MikeZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ditto that Mike, I also have a 4 cfm blower and couldn't be happier. JMO but I think the 10 cfm might be overkill for the WSM for backyard use.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:

ditto that Mike, I also have a 4 cfm blower and couldn't be happier. JMO but I think the 10 cfm might be overkill for the WSM for backyard use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not to start anything but, I disagree. I usually fill my WSM, i.e., 4 butts vs. just 1 or some chicken, and I find that using the 10 CFM blower gets the pit up to temp in half the time when it's loaded up as the 4 CFM blower. Last time I checked, the difference in price was only 6 bucks and I'd gladly pay the difference. To each their own, I guess.
icon_cool.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I wish I had known this when I got the Guru for my BWS and I could have ordered the WSM adapter at the same time. I wanted to see how I liked the Guru “love it”. I for some reason thought the 4 cfm was the one for the WSM. I will sure try the 10 cfm on the WSM . Thanks for the info.

Rick

Ditto to what Bill said.
Some are missing the point. You can get up to temp a whole lot faster when/if you need to. Coals dying out, 30+ lbs of cold meat, high heat cooks etc. Then close the damper off to 1/2 way when you don't need more cfm. Yes indeed the 4 cfm fan works fine, but the 10 cfm works faster. It's nice knowing you have the xtra horse power when you need it.
icon_wink.gif
JMO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:

ditto that Mike, I also have a 4 cfm blower and couldn't be happier. JMO but I think the 10 cfm might be overkill for the WSM for backyard use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not to start anything but, I disagree. I usually fill my WSM, i.e., 4 butts vs. just 1 or some chicken, and I find that using the 10 CFM blower gets the pit up to temp in half the time when it's loaded up as the 4 CFM blower. Last time I checked, the difference in price was only 6 bucks and I'd gladly pay the difference. To each their own, I guess.
icon_cool.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No problem Bill, price wasn't in my thought process. It's all about opinions. While some people just prefer the 4 cfm, others prefer the 10 cfm. There is no right or wrong answer here. It's just as you stated;"to each their own"

Thanks for all of your opinions. I settled on the 4cfm due to the fact that I planned on using it mainly for an overnight butt or two.
It should be here Monday.
Then there will be more questiond I'm sure.
Thanks again.
Mike

Back