Hand cut steaks

Konrad Haskins

R.I.P. 3/23/2014
wsmsmile8gm.gif

The short version is fresh hand cut steaks have more flavor than a steak that was cut who knows how long before being cooked. I think a whole Ribeye may have to go under the Scimitar real soon.

Not liking to sleep we had catering booked during the Evergreen (WA) State Fair where we were also vending for 12 to 13 hours every day for 12 days.

One event was steaks for 117 volunteers at the chamber of commerce booth. I decided to hand cut whole sirloins. This has long been a favorite of mine to smoke whole. Every time we smoke it whole and carve it fresh for guests a few will always tell me it's the best prime rib they have ever eaten.

I use a kicked up version of my basic rub. My basic recipe is the big jar of Montreal or Canadian Steak seasoning from Sam's or Costco. A big jar of Chili powder from the same source. Empty both jars into a mixing bowel. Fill one jar with CH Cane Sugar and add to bowl. Then Salt I use full jar of Diamond
Krystal Kosher salt (use 2/3 jar of Morton's Kosher or 1/2 Jar of table salt). The jar is the jar the steak seasoning came in or just use equal parts if using Diamond Krystal.

To prep the sirloin I remove all the fat and silver skin from the bottom and leave the top fat alone. If cooking whole rub and cook for two to three hours @ 225-275 and let sit in a cooler for just as long, carve and serve. This is for medium rare.

To cut steaks I first peel of the muscle that is attached to the top fat cap. I mainly use my fingers and a small knife for a little help.

I trim off the fat that has no meat under it. The I cut steaks across the grain 3/4" to 1" or as thing as you like.

You know have a few choices. You can cut monster steaks from the remaining piece. Cut it into two before cutting steaks or separate into individual muscles.

The trick with cutting steaks is use a big (long) sharp knife and cut across the grain. A single cut in one direction is better than a sawing motion. I now have a BIG Forschner Scimitar that I just love.

Sprinkle with rub and grill. One very quick way to feed a crowd is to quick grill thin steaks and cut into strips after cooking for steak sandwiches or fajitas.

Enjoy!

Back