DigiQII complaint

Ed Cardoza

TVWBB Pro
I recently purchased a DigiQII and have a few complaints about it; prior to receiving my DigQII, I would have to baby sit my WSM just to make sure that I was in or around the target temperature that I wanted for my smoke. I constantly was up and down all night long trying to keep the darn thing from spiking too high. I tried everything, and nothing seemed to work. I called the Weber customer service, and they were not able to help me based on what little information I had given them. I was so close to throwing my WSM into the pool, but thought better. I have the Maverick wireless temp probe system that tells me what's going on under the lid, and it would go off several times per smoke. It was getting to the point where I just didn't enjoy smoking anymore.
Then along comes this DigiQII with the 4cfm blower attachment and LCD readout so even a blind person like myself can read. It took me a few minutes to get it all hooked up and ready to go. I had a minor set back on my first smoke, due to lack of knowledge of the ramp mode which just happened to be on during my first try with this thing. Once I got it figured out, with the help of some pretty intelligent people, it settled down and performed as advertised.

What really bugs me the most about this power draft system is the fact that now when I want to do an overnight smoke, I get uninterupted sleep, I wake up, go outside to check the darn thing and it's still sitting at the set temperature that I put in at 10 pm the night before. It doesn't waiver at all, just sits there at 225*. Something must be wrong with it, there's just no way I should be able to just set it and forget it, I thought that was another product that did that.
My biggest complaint though is that now that everything is working so well and the wife has been really enjoying the end results, she now wants me smoke all of the time, which isn't a problem to me at all, but I still haven't been able to figure out how to get this thing to bring me a beer every now and then...

ed,

it is great to hear from a smoking novice! i am considering a stoker or digiq, been leaning towards the digiq. i see your fresnan friend larry got the stoker. people only say great things about both.

i almost bought the digiq last week to get here by the superbowl, but again delayed. i am a techie but i don't think i will use the online access of the stoker often. i like the set it and forget it idea, better packaging, waterproofness, etc of the digiq. reading your input is comforting.

Thanks Reardon, it's nice to see someone got the message. Yeah Larry here in Fresno put on 3 pork butts last night using a wireless set up with his Stoker. If I were a techie my self, I would have gone that way, but that's just too many moving parts for me. I smoked a 15 lb brisket yesterday that I started on at 10 pm Friday night. I set her at 225*, and she held that for 14 hours straight without incident. My alarm went off whent the internal hit 165, so I foiled it and put her back on until she hit 190 internal. Took her off and put her into a towel lined cooler for a couple of hours and oh my was it ever good. Good luck with yours, whatever you decide on...

yes, simple indeed. it seems mr. stoker larry is having issues again. not exactly set it and forget it there.

Hey Ed
When you bought your DigiQII did you have to buy the adapter for the WSM? Been thinking about getting one. was on there website priceing it out. Sounds like from your experence it was worth the $230.00.
Mike

First off to Mike, when I ordered mine, I just told them I had the WSM and they took care of the rest.
To Robert, you have made a great choice. I really enjoy my DigiQII and what it does for me. I was at Larry R's here in Fresno tonight for the game and he bought the Stoker and had way too many issues for my liking. I really think he has a bad unit, he had to keep adjusting the top vent to get control of the temp and still had to keep adjusting all night long. He started at pm last night and just couldn't get the temps under control, where as when I set my DigiQII at 225* it was good to go at 225 until I was done. You won't be sorry for chosing this unit.

Ed, glad to hear you like the DigiQ. I have had my Comepetitor for over 4 years now and have never had one problem with it.
icon_wink.gif
You should get many years of uniterupted sleep out of the DigiQ.
icon_biggrin.gif
I either light the charcaol or dump in the lit, and assemble the WSM. The thing I love about my Comepetitor is this. It has 2 buttons and 2 dials. I push the power button and on it comes. Then I turn the meat temp dial to where I want it, then I turn the pit temp dial to where I want it. The alarm comes on because of the low temps so I push the second button, the alarm silence. That's it, off to bed I go without a worry in the world.
icon_biggrin.gif
Yes it's that easy. It really is a set it and forget it unit.
icon_cool.gif

Hey Ed - saw your post and came running to see what was up. Too funny! Glad to see it was a "February Fools" joke.

I do absolutely love mine. It will stay within 5 degrees when I'm smoking. I was pleasantly surprised with how close it kept temps as well as how easy to use/set.

Ray, I just couldn't help myself. I had to do it. If you only knew how many problems I had before I purchased my DigiQII, you would see why I had to right something like that. We all work very hard for a living and when you are trying to relax on the weekend and smoke something, the last thing you want are more things to be stressed about. Now that I smoke with the DigiQII, my weekends are stress free. Ya gotta love that man. Glad you enjoyed the post.

I am a recent WSM owner and a novice BBQér on the WSM. Before purchasing a DigQII, should I have more experience using my WSM? I am an experienced OTG 22 1/2 inch owner and have done BBQ on my OTG.

Also, besides the DigQII, what else do I need to buy in order to set-up my WSM with a DigQII?

Rick Garcia

OTG 22 1/2 inches
WSM

All you need to do is tell them that you have a WSM and then whatever size blower you want and they will ship everything you'll need. They show just the DigiQII unit by itself, so when you order make sure you add on the fan/blower assembly. It should come out to about 170.00 total.
You may want to try some cooks without one and see how you like it and if you really even need one. There are tons of people on here that don't use them and do lots more cooking than I do. I am just lazy, and wanted something to help me keep the desired temps that I wanted to cook without baby sitting the vents all night. If you have lots of patience, well then you won't really need one, but if you have no patience, then I would strongly recommend getting one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
It should come out to about 170.00 total. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ed, That's a little low. I just bought one for Lance and with the 10 cfm fan, and probes it came to $238.00 + shipping.

Thanx for your reply and advise. I now plan on using my new WSM on a learn-as-you-go basis before I decide to invest in a DigQII, however tempting. I want to see how well my "cooks" go without this state-of-the-art tool. thanx

Rick Garcia

WSM
OTG 22 1/2 inches

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
It should come out to about 170.00 total. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ed, That's a little low. I just bought one for Lance and with the 10 cfm fan, and probes it came to $238.00 + shipping. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You know, I thought it did, but I just couldn't remember the exact total of that purchase. It's probably a good thing that I can't remember how much I paid for it. It's pretty scary just how much money I have spent on my BBQ equipment, but very well worth it.

You know, I thought it did, but I just couldn't remember the exact total of that purchase. It's probably a good thing that I can't remember how much I paid for it. It's pretty scary just how much money I have spent on my BBQ equipment, but very well worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ed, My wallet feels your pain.
icon_eek.gif

Back