WSM Door handle is stuck

Jeremy Theys

Guys,
I did my second cook on the WSM and am having problems with the door handle. I had these problems on the first cook as well. The door handle is VERY hard to turn to the right. If I turn to the left, it unscrews. I tried to fit a wrench in there to loosen up the locknuts and they won't fit. I really think a locknut is on backwards. To turn the handle it takes two hands now and I can only go to the right to open or close the door. Is this a common problem with a quick solution, or should I be calling Weber for a replacement?

I don't know if it's a common problem, but I must have screwed around with the knob for 20 minutes trying to make it work the way I thought it should work. Finally I got it halfway right, and now I only turn it clockwise whether I'm opening or closing the door. I think the door is the worst-designed component of the WSM.

Has anyone tried using a strip magnet along the trim of the door and getting rid of the rotation on the handle? basically use the magnet to stick the door to the WSM, and just use the handle as a pull/grab handle when opening?

I would think the problem would be adhesive melting which holds the strips to the door. I imagine a high temp epoxy would solve that problem.

Those flexible strip magnets are basically rubber, and I think you would have the potential for melting the magnetic strip itself. Or infusing your food with the wonderful aroma of burned rubber.
icon_smile.gif

If you have access to some old computer hard drives take them apart and scavenge the magnets out of them. Use the high temp epoxy to attach them to the door (or try it without the epoxy first, to see if it's going to work). These magnets are incredibly strong, I've gotten fingers pinched by them, raising blood blisters.

That said, I have 3 WSMs in use for a couple of few years now, with no problems with the doors.

Both of my WSMs were bought used, and I had to monkey around with the door latch on both of them to get them to work right, meaning having the right clearence to latch, and keep the door shaped correctly to seal. I disassembled the whole knob assembly, added washers (I think) and adjusted everything. If I recall, I also added a nut to act as a "lock not" to prevent everything from loosening up from use. I guess I'll need to look closer at what I did, but mine work well, with no tightening or loosening of the mechanism anymore.
EDIT: I know I needed to use a needle nose pliers (actually, it was the "pliers" portion of a "T-Stripper") to hold the nut to get it adjusted correctly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
I know I needed to use a needle nose pliers (actually, it was the "pliers" portion of a "T-Stripper") to hold the nut to get it adjusted correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luckily I had a miniature Craftsman pliers (like the world's smallest Channelocks) that was thin enough to do the job.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
I know I needed to use a needle nose pliers (actually, it was the "pliers" portion of a "T-Stripper") to hold the nut to get it adjusted correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's exactly what I used. Mine was assembled correctly but was on the loose side. That tool was perfect for getting in there.

Bill

I have no need for the door since I started using the Piedmont Pan method along with the terra cotta saucer. Longer burning fire and no water to keep track of, plus easier cleanup.

5 minutes ago I took apart teh handle and removed a lock washer that was between the nut and the door itself. I replaced it with a thin stainless steel washer and reassembled. It works MUCH more smoothly now. In order of hardware on the outside from the door goes:
1) Stainless Steel washer
2) nut that came with WSM
3) lock washer that came with WSM
4) WSM handle

I held teh inside piece with a small channellock pliers, while tightening teh nut on the bolt. Then simply screwed the handle back on until tight. Did a quick test fit and operation and works like a champ now. I kept the second lock washer in teh garage in case I find this design isn't top notch. I can fiddle with it again.

Back