Rub with Fennel

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Italian Sausage, a favorite of mine is mostly pork, salt, pepper and fennel. I have not found fennel in a rub after searching a few books and this site. Paul Kirk lists it in his book as a possible ingredient...thats all I've found. My first effort with fennel is 4 Pepper Rub posted in rubs.

Do you have a favorite fennel rub?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you have a favorite fennel rub? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

I like the following rub that uses fennel. It is from the South Beach Diet Cookbook and goes very well with chicken on the grill. Brush chicken with EVOO and then apply the rub.

Spanish Spice Rub
3 TBS Spanish or regular paprika
1 TBS ground cumin seeds
1 TBS ground mustard seeds
2 TSP. ground fennel seeds
2 TSP. coarsely ground black pepper
2 TSP. kosher salt

After grilling the chicken, the book recommends serving with the following sauce which my wife and I love! Try it.

Mustard Green Onion Sauce
½ cup aged white vinegar (I use white wine vinegar)
3 TBS Dijon mustard
1 cup EVOO
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ cup thinly sliced scallions
3 TBS finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Whisk together vinegar and mustard. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified and season with salt and pepper. Fold in scallions and parsley.

Ray

Ray, cumin and fennel should work very well together. A good one to try.

Rita, that flavor profile is very close to what I came up with-I added celery and other peppers.

Thanks !

The 4 Pepper Rub works very well. Nice heat level. The fennel is not too forward. It worked well on butt and brisket.

Back