One Touch Silver - Master Touch Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jered Crews

TVWBB Member
I have a 22.5" One Touch Silver, 1997 year stamp that I'm wanting to turn into a One Touch Gold/Master Touch. I've got all the part numbers from the weber site but was wanting some input before I go for it. The ash catching system looks to be a pretty simple task. I'm not doing the slide aside. What I have the most reservations about is installing the multi-purpose thermometer in the lid. Has anybody done this? I know I'll have to drill a small hole in the kettle for the therm and then 2 small holes in the handle itself for the mounting piece. Has anybody done this? Good/bad results?

Jered,
I have looked into this (for WSM) but not tried the therm mod... the holes in the handle are pretty straight forward.. the one in the lid however (after taking apart my performer lid) is much more tricky due to the angle at which the therm prob enters the lid... for someone doing this as home, I think you would end up having to drill a pretty good sized hole perpendicular to the lid (use the method outlined in the mods section) because drilling at the same angle (as the probe would enter) would be near impossible....you could really screw up your lid quickly doing this....
the other option would be to try to find a used lid,etc on craigslist...
just my 2 cents..

How about using a replacement thermometer from a newer Genesis or Summit gasser and mount it in the lid opposite the vent? It has a 1.5" stem and the numbers on the dial are larger and easy to read.

Brian, thanks for the suggestion. After studying Performers a little closer at my local Ace I've realized how difficult the performer thermometer installation may be. I then studied the thermometers on their Spirit grills and I think this is the route I'm going with using the directions here for drilling holes. I think it will be much simpler. 1 hole and bam! Plus it will be a little cheaper. The Spirit/Genesis thermo with wingnut is only $10.35 through Weber CS. Once I get around to ordering the parts and doing the work I'll post my results. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back