First time Ribs

S Bogdon

This past Sunday was my birthday. I thought what better way to celebrate my birthday than breaking in the new smoker with some close friends and family.

I lit the smoker at about 9am, this gave me enough time to figure out how to regulate the temperature to a steady 225 degrees before the ribs needed to be put on at 11am. While the smoker was heating up I got busy at prepping the ribs. I trimmed the fat, removed the back membrane, and gave them a healthy amount of rub on all sides with Jack's Old South Rub. At 11am all 10 racks of ribs went on.

2935448010051694897S425x425Q85.jpg

Here is what they looked like after about 3 hours of cooking. Note the thick crust already forming.

2642116420051694897S425x425Q85.jpg

About 4pm the temp started to drop below 200 degrees, I opened the charcoal area and I was already out of charcoal, I had to add more. I learned very quickly to be very careful with hot burning charcoal while burning 2 fingers, my feet, and my deck.

2071376550051694897S425x425Q85.jpg

I opened the door and yelled for Meagan to bring me a pitcher of water while I tried to extinguish my burning deck. After what seemed like hours I ran inside to check on her, at the same time she was running towards the door with a glass of water.....that wasn't going to cut it. I rushed past her to the garage and grabbed the garden hose. I will have to figure out a better way to add more charcoal for next time.

Steve

Really soak everything with that hose. If some little ember gets between the boards it can linger for some time before igniting.

Back